Shoptask 1720

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Keyair

Re: Shoptask 1720

Post by Keyair »

Not posted for a while, but been busy making things!

I finished then modified the ball turning attachment...
Just made some dies for my beadroller, that have a 30mm radius.
Will post some pics in a bit.

I have an issue/question I need help with...
To do some of the things I am planning, I need a "Compound Cross Slide".
This machine never came with one, and I need to be able to cut angles.

This, combined with my need for a quick release tool post is slowing me down.
I've looked around and cant seem to find one that looks like it will work, new or used...

Ideas, thoughts or suggestions?
pete

Post by pete »

Well if you need a compound and a quick change tool post then deal with the problem of getting that compound first since sizing a QC tool post is done from the compounds top surface height to the lathes center line. As for finding something that would work for a compound? We'd need much more information. What's the distance between the top of the cross slide to the headstocks center line? A picture of how the lathe was originally set up to fasten a compound to it would help. With both of those some here may be able to suggest something that might work from another lathe for you. Making your own isn't impossible with enough careful work. Blank ended ACME feed screws and matching nuts are also available from a variety of sources that would save some work. If you did go that route I'd strongly urge you to use the proper material such as Durabar. It's a continious cast iron and would be the proper material. Buying used or even building won't be all that cheap unless you got a bit lucky. Making and marking a proper feed dial is going to likely be the toughest part for most people. It's still not impossible and the George Thomas book The Model Engineers Workshop Manual shows the methods.
Keyair

Post by Keyair »

Thanks for the input!
So, measured my setup.
Almost exactly 6" from the mounting table to the lathe CL.
The table is 6" wide(X) and 8" deep(Y).
My Photobucket is now active again, so pics should be back.
See pages 3 and 4 of this thread for pics of the machine if there is doubt on how this machine looks.

I was sniffing around online....
Something like this might work... but $250!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EMCO-Maximat-V ... 1438.l2649
pete

Post by pete »

Emco made and still make very high quality machine tools. That compound without doing a hands on check looks dirt cheap for what it is and it's apparent condition. I'd guess even making one would get you well over 3/4s of the way to it's price for something few of us could build nearly as well. I'm also sure buying a complete compound from Grizzy, Precision Matthews etc for one of there 11" - 12" swing lathes would be even more than that with a lot less accuracy and quality. With all the extra room in height you have then a much larger compound could be used of course, but it would need some luck and finding a used one without a lot of wear or crash damage wouldn't be easy. Given the tee slots on your cross slide then adapting almost anything to fit shouldn't be very hard. Only my own opinion of course, but today it's more than common to see aluminum used as the material for a lot of user built machine parts. Likely and only because it's easy to get and machine. There's well thought out, sound engineering and logical reasons for not using it. Whatever compound I decided on then some type of adapter block is going to be needed between the cross slides top surface and the bottom of the compound. I'd again make a point of using that Durabar. Buy or build what ever compound you need, chose the QC tool post. An Axa sized one should be ok and would be about the most cost effective. Then you have the components on hand to size your adapter block. I'd size the block so the tool holders are approximately in the middle of the QC tool blocks adjustment range. Rigidity is everything when cutting metal. It might only make a small difference, but I'd still chose a wedge type quick change tool post over the slightly cheaper piston type. If that seller would ship to Canada I'd buy that Emco compound myself.
danandkaye

Post by danandkaye »

I have a new Shoptask 1720 for sale, asking $2000.
Torch

Post by Torch »

You should probably post up your location and maybe some pictures.