endmill too high when in collet

This forum is dedicated to those hobbyists with the 3-in-1 metalworking machines. Mill-Drill-Lathes. Tips, techniques, modification and use of these machines is topical.

Moderator: Harold_V

Torch

Re: endmill too high when in collet

Post by Torch »

That will be a challenge.

I'm not sure what make your vise is, but this might fit. Looks like it adds about 1" of height, so that might not be quite enough for your purpose and I'd contact them to verify before ordering:
https://www.shars.com/swivel-base-for-4 ... ing-vise-1

Do you have a 4-jaw chuck for your lathe? I often use a 4-jaw on the rotab in place of a vise. Great for complicated shapes and/or delicate pieces, although admittedly a bit more involved for set-up:

(note that the rotab can also be mounted vertically for projects like this: )

A third option would be a tilt/swivel vise, like this 4" model:
https://www.busybeetools.com/Products/4 ... serie.html

All of the above involve purchasing equipment, of course. That may not be in the budget. But you are now a budding machinist! You can often make your own solutions. Here is a base I made for my compound (which is almost useless for the purpose, but supposed to double as the vise as shipped from the factory). You could make a similar riser block for your (real) machining vise out of some 2" steel:

And if worst comes to worst, you could always remove the tool post turret from the OEM vise/compound and use that. At least as a down-and-dirty but available-right-now solution to your immediate need.
timsch

Re: endmill too high when in collet

Post by timsch »

Thanks Torch. I don't have an immediate need; I'm just trying to get a working setup for when I have one. Unfortunately, it's looking like I will just be able to use a riser block.

The 4" vise is an Accu Lock. In hindsight, I should have ordered the one with the swivel base.
Grizzly G4015Z 3-1