In my shop

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

alphawolf45

Re: In my shop

Post by alphawolf45 »

Son of a gun.. ...What are the pipes made of ? Looks like aluminum? Or brass with a layer of something to prevent tarnish? ... I come up with some brass tube that were thought to be organ pipes, I gave them to a musician I knew..Never did know for sure what they were.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

alphawolf45 wrote:Son of a gun.. ...What are the pipes made of ? Looks like aluminum? Or brass with a layer of something to prevent tarnish? ... I come up with some brass tube that were thought to be organ pipes, I gave them to a musician I knew..Never did know for sure what they were.
There are several different type of pipes, some are wood and others are metal. The metal pipes and a lead / zinc alloy and the proportions of the alloy determine the tone. When you have a higher lead content the tone takes on a "warmer" character.

Keith
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

30 yrs ago i helped out in a shop pouring sheet lead to make the raw material for pipes, the building of organs is always a facinating thing. please keep us apraised of progress.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

hammermill wrote:30 yrs ago i helped out in a shop pouring sheet lead to make the raw material for pipes, the building of organs is always a facinating thing. please keep us apraised of progress.
Right now progress has slowed to a stop. I am recovering from surgery where they did a partial amputation of my right foot. I'm hoping the surgeon will release me to get back in my shop sometime in August. Right now I am 100% non-weight bearing.
Keith
spro

Post by spro »

I'm certain I speak the same all of us here feel. Dang :(
Speedy recovery, Keith.
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Keith, Wha happened? Complication of diabetes? Or just bad luck.??

Speedy recovery, my E friend.

( I am diabetic).
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

steamin10 wrote:Keith, Wha happened? Complication of diabetes? Or just bad luck.??

Speedy recovery, my E friend.

( I am diabetic).
Thanks SPRO and Steamin10 for the kind thoughts.
While I do have diabetes, that wasn't the problem. It was Osteomyelitis, which is an infection of the bone marrow. The only effective treatment was to remove the bone. I am quite happy with how things are going. The pain I lived with for so long is gone! I'm still a little sore around the incision, but it gets better and better every day.
I'm looking forward to getting back into my shop soon. Aside from the pipe organ, I have a locomotive to finish as well....
Keith
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

good to hear things are improving with the feet now and you are getting better.

as part of the needle gang such things are a constant concern

all good ken
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Nature the Mother, strikes again. I am Diabetic positive since 95. I am on pills and diet, and it is beginning to fail. No needles yet. Weight still coming down from a high of 365 peak. Now 250. I keep tempting Mother dearest, with my antics at times, but life is worth the risk.

You did not describe the loss, adequatly, or perhaps Ghoulishly. But describe relief. I am thankful, there was some gain in the play for you. Relief of constant pain is a big issue. Rest well, I know you have many miles to your horizons yet. I bid you a speedy recovery..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Keith; I just came across your Wurlitzer project,very interesting how is it coming along.
Best Regards
Chris
www.chaski.com
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

We have started installing the pipe chests into the chambers. Attached is a photo of my friend Peter Haskell helping to set a chest on its bearers in the Solo chamber.
It is a long process as all of the components are over 90 years old and ever bit of leather needs to be replaced.
Keith
Attachments
HPIM2035.JPG
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

white kind/grade of leather goes into the joints??