Patio's projects

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

neanderman

Re: Patio's projects

Post by neanderman »

What a way to end one of the worst years ever! Insurance companies -- yuck!

I've been cleaning and reorganizing my basement shop, uncovering a few things I'd forgotten about, tossing/recycling other things.

I'm gradually feeling my energy recovering following Anne's death last February and I was contacted by one of her daughters, which was the highlight of the season's ending.

Blessings to all for 2022.

(Sorry if I hijacked your thread, Pat!)
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Patio

Post by Patio »

No problem Ed. :)

I should mention that no one was hurt in the accident! I am thankful for that! Also, no citations were issued. She got a warning. She has insurance and has admitted to falling asleep. I have no hard feeling toward her, stuff happens.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Thanks, Pat!

No injuries is always good news. I say "Things can be replaced; people can't!"

Also, congratulations on the (semi) retirement! I'm into year two of my full retirement and starting to get my bearings.
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I am glad she did not wake up and try to make the left turn Pat.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

Patio, thanks for the slide hammer pics. I am about to get fitted for the same kind of plate. My inserts are in and healed and I was supposed to go yesterday for an impression but 12" snow prevented that. The township plow succeeded in closing off the end of the driveway. :roll:

--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Earlgo, I have the kind of implants that work like Morse tapers do. There are all kinds of different implant fixtures, I have found out. Without the slide hammer it would be difficult to remove my teeth. I sure like mine so far. I can eat anything I want. I do take them out after a meal, to give them a rinse, in the jar at night and back in, in the morning. I have chipped two of the teeth. They are going to get replaced at the sum of $300 a tooth. I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
pete

Post by pete »

I always forget to check back here often enough Patio. Like Ed said, what a way to end the year.

A denture story that some might get a chuckle out of. Shortly after I got mine they would bother my gums a bit, no problem at home, but at work and 12 hr shifts I'd wrap them up in a clean paper towel and put them in my pocket for awhile sometimes. Without thinking I reached into my pocket one day and thought what the hell is this and chucked it out the widow of the excavator I was running and doing some final bench grading. Sop at the mine was to throw anything out the window in a low spot and bury it. A few hrs later I realized what I'd done, good thing I was up high and working on my own since it took a couple of hrs of very gently scraping around with the bucket in the general area I thought they might be, but probably more by luck than anything else I did re-find them. The second mistake was even mentioning it to a couple of guys on my crew on the way back to camp. At least a full week of hearing guys ask on the radio if I was missing any bucket teeth and other versions along the same lines. That hoe weighed about 45 tons and I'd driven over those dentures multiple times before I went looking for them. They were down a couple of feet, so probably just deep enough and somehow in fine enough material that there was zero damage to them. So on some day's, it's far better to be lucky than good at what your doing. :-)
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

pete wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 7:27 pm Without thinking I reached into my pocket one day and thought what the hell is this and chucked it out the widow of the excavator I was running and doing some final bench grading.
I've come very close to doing something similar with other personal objects.

What a lucky recovery!
Ed

US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My ex-brother-in-law wasn't quite so lucky.
Harv ran a weld shop and I'd had him weld up the small ball mill I needed to process a high grade gold ore. This was MANY years ago. His pay was a half ounce of gold, nicely cast into an ingot and stamped with my hallmark. We were going to a hockey game the night I gave him the ingot, so it went in his shirt pocket. Harv smoked, so during the break between the first and second period, he went to the concession area to indulge his habit. When he returned, he didn't have the ingot any longer, which had been placed in a sealed plastic bag. He thinks that when he took out his smokes he dropped it. Needless to say, going back to find it paid no dividends.

Interesting story, pete. Amazing that you found the plate.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Hello everyone. I am still alive and kicking, but almost didn't make it.
At the beginning of the year, we decided to replace most of the floors in the house. We have been meaning to do it for some time now. I can tell you floors, means more than floors. We ended up painting most of the walls, I built a wall for a closet, replaced a couple of thresholds and repaired a lot of things that have needed it, for a long time.
That took the first three months of the year. I have been so busy, going up and down the stairs some 10 times a day, that at the end of the day I haven't felt like doing much at all, let alone posting here. Once the remodel was done, I decided to sit down and rest for a couple of days, before moving on to the next project, and that is when it happened. I had a heart attack! I had just taken a bike for a ride and put it in front of my house to sell it for a nephew of mine, when I stated feeling bad. Had a pain in my chest and then could feel it at my elbows. I went inside, we took my blood pressure, it was 185/106. So off to the hospital I go. This started at 12:30pm and I had my heart attack in the hospital at 12:30am. I was then driven by ambulance, north to a hospital that deals in cardiac medicine and within a hour of arriving, I was in a penthouse suite on the 11th floor, with a view. The doc say I am good to go and am at 110%. I went to the gym with a different nephew for a couple of weeks and am trying to be able to run a mile.
We are trying to go to Alaska this summer, but many things are working against us. Between getting the truck fixed. ( that took awhile) and buying a, new to us, slide-in truck camper and all the repairs I have been doing to it. We were suppose to leave July the 7th but that is now delayed too. You see, the reason I have time in the middle of my day to write this is, because I am now on day two of getting Covid. Yesterday I had a fever of 102.6 and today it is 100.6. No cough or any other issues at the moment. I am grateful for that.
Once I am well again I need to replace the toilet and the gas regulator on the water heater, figure out what to take with me and get gone. We don't know when we will be back as we have no itinerary. I have a couple of goals though. One is to go to the artic circle, just the other side of the Yukon river and to visit my home town of Fairbanks. I also would like to go see the 577 locomotive while there.
That is it for now. Never a dull moment! :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Sheesh Patio!!!!
When you do things, you REALLY do them to the extreme!

So glad you are recovering from your heart attack. Major close shave there.
And then Covid? Hopefully no long term results.
Get well and Get going!!
Just don't crash!!

Wishing you ALL the Best, and looking forward to more good reports of your activities.
RussN
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Pat, I gather Audrey wasn't going to let you stay home?
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.