Bar Stool Racer

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Don't know how the belt tightener apparatus would all fit in the frame . As you said before " looks a little clunkey" Not much space as it is . I think that diff in Northern Tool looks a lot like the one on the Comet website , The only thing you would have to adapt up to is the sprocket to the diff . A little machining and that could be bolted to it , no prob. I'd recommend the tork-a verter for sure instead of a bunch of pulleys and belt . Some where on that site a guy fabbed up to a diff . Might shed some light .
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Well , finally got the bsr out of the shop and on the ground .
Just had to ride it . Finnished up the detail work and even painted the battery . Lots bling w/ the paint ,stainless bolts and nuts , and diamond plate . Will sit tall at the car shows !

The last one of yours truly , grinning like a kid on the inside

Now back to some redos on the Webster IC engine .
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

You got an eye for color. Goin to the Boat? Yellow Mae West is cool. No Seat belt? Looks like those #12's may foul the front wheels, or is that the braking system?

:lol: Slick ride, thanks for the inspiration.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
steamisgood

Re: Bar Stool Racer

Post by steamisgood »

Very awesome and unique! Have fun and be safe! :D
Sincerely, John Kane
"One cannot learn to swim without getting into the water."
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Nice work!

Where's the drink holder?
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
david5605

Post by david5605 »

Do a search on V8 unicycles if you want to step up to the next level
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Always wanted to build one. I even have an 8hp Honda engine pulled from the family golf cart after upgrading it to a 16hp B&S Vanguard engine, I have a 7.5" Comet driven clutch, just need a Series 40 or 44 Comet clutch for the engine.

Curiously, how much do you have in your BSR?
If one had an old racing go cart, then it could be built inexpensively, buying new wheels/tires/drivetrain can make the project expensive. Maybe I'll keep collecting parts......

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
coal miner

Post by coal miner »

Marty , IIRC --[CRS] -- I'm going from memory ,but............. some of these are very approximate .

HF 6.5hp Honda clone electric start -- 90.00 [ on sale w/ coupon]
hardware kit-- 300.00 includes all the goodies for axel , sprockets , chain , hub adapters frt & r ,king pins and spindles , tie rods and heim ends ,disc brake assem ., throttle and brake cables , and lots of associated parts . Really a good bargain .
paint and clear coat --40.00
Steel -- ??
Comet torque-a-verter-- 180.00
bar stool 40.00
handle bar from bike shop 15.00
all stainless hardware --$$
alum. diamond plate -- 45.00
lots of home made parts --
motor cycle battery -- 25.00
custom air cleaner and adapt -- 30.00
tires and alum wheels 400.00
Those numbers are close , slept since then . I'm sure I've forgot some things , but those are the biggies that IRC . One thing , you can make it to what ever you want . I went a little overboard on some things but , don't regret it . I think it looks pretty cool .
Your idea of a kart for a donor would save a lot of $$ and you might be able to use the part of the frame for the base . All the steering components and axel parts would be there . Go for it and post some pics !
The more I learn , The more I don't know !
Rex

Post by Rex »

A guy I race with brought one of those to a race last fall, as a pit bike.
He offered to let me try it out. I nearly killed myself within 50 feet.
With a sold rear axle and short wheelbase, it was very hard to turn, and torque steer sent confusing signals.
It got out of shape way too fast.
I ran into a guy working on his SRF. Luckily no serious damage to people or property.
I suggest if yours is anything like that, you put a dead-man switch on it like jetskis use.
Marty_Escarcega
Site Admin

Post by Marty_Escarcega »

Ah some day. I still have a mini chopper project now going on 6 years old that needs a couple weekends work to finish....
http://members.cox.net/escarcega

Marty
"Jack of all Trades, Master of None"
gman6011

Post by gman6011 »

This is too cool. I see it's and older thread but great Job.