Duplomatic T50 tracer attachment, refurbishment

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

Patio

Re: Duplomatic T50 tracer attachment, refurbishment

Post by Patio »

Making some progress on the new base plate for the tracer attachment.
I have some plate that came from an old night drop for a bank. It was made from 1" and 1 1/4" plate for the sides. I used a torch to cut out a basic shape. The torch is new to me and this is the first time I have tried cutting anything close to 1" plate.
Rough cut.
20201119_173759.jpg
The original setting on the rough cut. It is the extra on the sides, that I need.
20201120_181946.jpg
This it all cleaned up.
20201121_110827.jpg
And after It had a soak in Harold's oven.
20201122_114226.jpg
This is the setup I used to mill and fly cut the outside edges.
20201127_123002.jpg
More in the next post!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Next was to mill one side, in the vise, in a relaxed state.
This is one of the early passes.
20201128_153126.jpg
One side done!
20201128_155236.jpg
This is a piece of aluminum bolted to the mill table, for mount the plate onto. It has been fly cut, to be flat.
20201128_201918.jpg
Tomorrow I will make a plan to mount the plate, so I can flip it, as I go.
We shall see what tomorrow brings.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

I clamped the plate to the pallet on the mill table, drill and reamed two 1/4" holes through the plate and into the pallet to install two pins for locating the plate, on the pallet.
20201206_194309.jpg
I made drawings in Fusion360, with the dimensions, so I could take them to the shop. There are two drawing because there are two different center lines, 2mm apart, for each set of holes. One set of holes is for mounter the ram to the plate and the plate to the lathe, the other set is for mounting the plate to the way of the tracer.
Duplomatic base plate mounting hole dimensions.jpg
Duplomatic base plate small hole dimensions.jpg
I also drill and tapped some holes, created some counter bores in the plate and pallet, for the mounting of the base plate, so I could take full passes with the fly cutter. Then I sharpened up a 1 1/4" roughing end mill and started making chips.
20201205_160900a.jpg
20201206_165452.jpg
Once the roughing was done I checked the part for flatness. To check for flatness, the plate was set on jacks on the surface plate. Each point of the jacks were leveled with each other. Then I was able to check for flatness. I am about .001" high in the middle of the plate.
20201206_172945.jpg
I also took a short video of the cutter taking a pass.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdiY9x_ ... el=patio2u
Finish cutting and lot of holes to make yet.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Update on progress.
All the holes and their counter bores Have been drilled. I used drills, ground to create a flat bottom, in the counter bores. The 4 locating pin's holes have been bored to size. After a conversation with Harold, about boring small holes, I made a boring bar and a bushing to fit the boring head. Down to the last hole to bore, and I snapped the boring bar off by running it into the part. :shock: So I made another bushing and boring bar, and the hole got done.
Most of the dimensions, in this project, are not critical. The plate just mounts the tracer to the lathe and is firmly held by dovetail nuts and bolts. The two dimensions that matter to some degree are, the flatness of the face that mounts to the way and back end of the ram, and the parallelism between the top and bottom of the plate. The parallelism affects the tools ability of the tool, stay on center line as it approaches and recedes from the part. The flatness would affect the amount of distortion it imparts on the way. So the priority for me, was on the flatness. I am happy with the results, so far. I still need to trim one of the sides. It was left as a long straight edge, to be used for holding and indicating the part to the pallet. A small slot gets milled into one edge with some threaded holes for the turret stop bracket. I also need to make 4 dovetail nuts, that will fit the slot on the carriage.
Here are some pics of where I am at.
20201213_210112.jpg
20201213_210253.jpg
20201213_210501.jpg
Here is a short video, of the pins.
https://youtu.be/JZCnsDU1TX4
We'll see how it goes from here. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I should have said a little more about making a boring bar. I mentioned grinding the bar to half the diameter (A D configuration) in order for you to establish the centerline of the bar for the cutting edge. What I didn't say is that you should do that for just a short distance, then leave the balance of the bar round. The benefit is a little more rigidity, although in small holes it can cost you the only clearance you may have for the chips to evacuate the generated bore.

If the bar you ground offered no problems with chatter, or springiness, it's a non-issue.

Well done, Patio.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Harold, I did have some issues with springiness of the bar. I made lots of spring passes, and I ended up boring from both directions to get the hole to size all the way through.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Damn. Wish I'd have had the presence of mind to make mention. At least now you understand.

Sorry 'bout that! :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Patio

Post by Patio »

Progress report! The base plate is completed! It is almost too pretty to put on the machine. It is silky smooth to the touch.

The rotary stop on the tracer uses the two parts mounted to the plate. The one on the left, is the forward stop with an adjusting bolt. The part on the right, is a ramp for a plunger to ride and rotate the indexer. The ramp can be adjusted to shorten or lengthen the distance where the ramp will engage the plunger, allowing one to optimize cycle times.
20201219_184813.jpg
The stop has pins to locate it, to the plate and two bolts to hold it. I located the bolt holes first, drill and tapped the new holes. Then I snugged the bolts up, tapped it to the the right, against the plate. Then I drilled and reamed the pin holes and installed the pins.
20201219_153436.jpg
20201219_223600.jpg
This a picture of the slot that the ramp rides in. The original plate used 6mm bolts. They are all 1/4"X20 now. If you look at the slot where the ramp rides, you will be able to see the major diameter of the1/4X20" tap cut into the sides of the slot a little bit. There was enough clearance in the slot, on the ramp part, to allow It to move freely over the 1/4" bolts.
20201219_223724.jpg
I am going to do nuts next! :)
Duplomatic base plate nut dimensions.jpg
We'll see how that goes!?
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Got the nuts made. It only took two tries. :roll: On the first go round, I had drawn the nuts up in F360, but when I made a test nut up in wood, the angle did not seem right, so I changed it. That was a bad idea, as the drawing was correct. Round two was much easier and faster to do. I also changed from using a face plate to a pallet mounted to a 1 1/8" spud, for use in a collet. Once the nuts were made and I tried mounting the plate to the lathe, I discovered the 4 mounting holes were in the wrong location, so I ended up moving the center hole to make it all work. It is not critical to the operation of the unit. Here are the pictures.
20210102_162753.jpg
20210104_183920.jpg
20210104_184151.jpg
20210104_184231.jpg
20210104_183108.jpg
And the longest chip I have made yet, at about 8' long!
20210104_183114a.jpg
Now I just need to assemble the unit.
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Patio

Post by Patio »

Here it is, all put together!
20210105_205930.jpg
Now I need to make space on the back splash shelf. It needs to be raised a couple of inches. It is a bit of work to do that too. This picture show how much. I also will need to remove the bracket that held a large shield that would cover the chuck and travel with the carriage. Also the cables for the DRO are rounted through the bar that hold the cover. The DRO is very old and I may replace it when that time comes.
20210105_205454.jpg
I also need to find a proper Dickson tool holder for the tool post. The tool post has an adjustment that allows it to be move forward and back, by the knob on top, so I can't just use another style, on this tracer. I have a tool holder that is borrowed from Harold, as he has the same tracer. The way his lathe is built (Graziono SAG12) he need to be able to drop the tool holder, even with the tool upside down. I need a normal Dickson tool holder to hold the tool upside down, once I figure out which series I need.
In this picture the tool is upright, but in operation it will be held upside down and need to be raised even higher.
20210105_205232.jpg
While making the plate, I missed my mark on the thickness of the plate. Now the ramp and the stop block for the indexer do not fit properly. I will make new ones as it is easier than making a new plate, but one never really knows.
For now I am done with the project for a bit. There are some other things on the lathe that could use some attention and I intend to do all the tweaks at the time that I raise the backsplash shelf. I will wait for better weather when I can move all the bikes out of the shop for more room.
That's it for now!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
BadDog

Post by BadDog »

Beautiful work as always!

Assembly wise, I got about as far as you are before I put it aside for "later", and never got back to it. Mine is by no means rehabilitated as nicely as yours, but it functioned very well as far as I could tell. The remaining tasks I never got around to completing were designing/creating a template holder (complete) and in-feed adjustment. I had an idea that I was going to use the template follower to manage infeed, but never got further than a vague idea. Unfortunately, mine is a larger Duplomatic that didn't incorporate the infeed like yours and Harolds.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper
Patio

Post by Patio »

Thanks Russ! Most tracers have an overarm that holds the stylus, that follows the pattern. At the top of the stylus there are two micrometer dials, at 90* to each other, that control alignment and in feed. The overarm connects to the top of the tracer and makes it quite tall. That is the reason I am using a Duplomatic, as it has a lower profile. I do not know what brand of tracer was used on the Cazeneuve originally, but it has a really low profile to operate below the back splash shelf of the lathe. If I could find one of those, I would sell both of mine, in a heart beat. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!