Vintage Machine Shop Photos

The Photo Album is a place for "Shop Shots" as well as pictures and descriptions of projects that we are working on. Show off your Shops, Machines, and your Projects!

Moderator: Harold_V

John in OH

Vintage Machine Shop Photos

Post by John in OH »

About 10 years ago, or maybe more, I was on a kick of searching out on-line vintage photos of old machine shops. At that time I had found a lot of really cool old shops with line-shaft driven machines, wood floors, or massive shops now long gone. Anyway, time moved on and I lost track of the sites that hosted many of these old pics.

Does anyone have any sites where I could again find these types of old pics?
SteveM

Re: Vintage Machine Shop Photos

Post by SteveM »

Google it and click on the link for pictures.

I'll bet you'll have more pictures come up than you have time to look at.

Search on youtube for some videos, too.

Steve
earlgo

Post by earlgo »

vintagemachinery.org

Cincinnati Milicron had a museum at one of their facilities, that contained a complete early machine shop, and it was fascinating. It seems to me it was somewhere near their cafeteria, but then I haven't been there since 1985 or so, so it may not exist any more. Neanderman might be able to provide more info on it.

Failing that, a trip to the Smithsonian in DC or Dearborn Village in Mich. may be in order.
--earlgo
Before you do anything, you must do something else first. - Washington's principle.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Our Historical Museum, located in Cincinnati Union Terminal, has a small machine shop setup. They have a lathe, a planer and a mill (IIRC...) set up and operational, using overhead belt drive. They have a few machinists that occasionally do demonstrations. And, last time I was there, they had a couple of other, non-operational machines, on display.

Sadly, almost all of the machine tool industry is long gone -- a few buildings remain, and I think there is one company still operational (though I don't know if they manufacture locally), but it's mostly a lost history.

Makino may still build CNC 'manufacturing centers' north of town, but all Milicron builds is robotic tools for the plastics industry.

There is a LeBlond entity, across the river, that services their 'vintage' manual lathes (and a few other machine tools). They also sell 'new' manual lathes, most likely of Taiwanese origin.

Monarch, up in Sidney, is still around. They buy back their own 10EE toolroom lathes, rebuild them, and sell them for an arm and a leg.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"