Rotary table

Buying, selling, trading and for giving away Items of interest to the Home Machinist Community. (Non-Commercial Only) *PLEASE BE SURE TO LIST CONTACT INFORMATION AND LOCATION OF ITEM*

Moderator: Harold_V

hoppercar

Rotary table

Post by hoppercar » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:52 pm

Looking for a good used, troyke, 9 or 10 inch Manuel rotary table

pete

Re: Rotary table

Post by pete » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:10 pm

Good luck, there out there and not that uncommon, but most people with one know how well they were made and price them accordingly.Troyke also made R/T's of that size and larger with a built in X,Y table if you don't know of them yet. Very handy with the trade off of eating a bit more Z axis height though. I also recently found out Troyke did offer at least some of there tables with an accessory set of division plates, sector arms and detent pin to fit there tables. A pretty rare set of parts it seems, but worth knowing about.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:36 am

They are out there. Look ebay...prices I saw seemed reasonable
Too many things going on to bother listing them.

hoppercar

Post by hoppercar » Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:10 pm

Yeah I know what you mean, I inquired about one online in New Jersey.....650 bucks....seems like the junkier it is, the more people want for there crap

pete

Post by pete » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:43 pm

Price out some Moore Tools rotary tables and then the Troykes start looking pretty cheap. :-) But your sure right about some way over priced junk. I've had an Ebay search going for South Bend shapers, Atlas horizontal mills, Volstro milling heads and those X,Y Troyke R/Ts for roughly 10 years now. Some of the prices are insane.

Troyke R/T's are obviously good, but don't rule out either Walter, or SIP rotary tables. Bison are supposed to be very good as well. There all fairly rare in North America, but almost no one knows the names or associates them with high quality R/T's. So if you can find one in good condition the price should be a lot cheaper than the Troykes. And SIP is at least comparable to anything Moore made. Yuasa is Japanese and supposed to be good, but there was a long post on the Model Engineer forums a few years ago where a few members were having major problems with the bronze worm gears and having teeth strip off. They mentioned contacting Yuasa got the response that there R/T's weren't designed to take cutting loads. WTH ?????? Dividing heads are mostly designed for division, R/T's are designed for circular cutting and slotting. And aren't impossible to do dividing with. So fwiw that's one brand I'd be leery about.

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:03 pm

The overpriced ones you see are what has not sold. Nothing prevents people from asking stupid prices...and they sit.

People with realistic prices sell quickly.

pete

Post by pete » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:47 am

Yep all too true Bill. Some good examples of just that in this PM thread. https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/m ... me-309325/

RONALD

Post by RONALD » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am

Bought a Brown & Sharpe 18" Powered Rotary on eBay, but I never found the B&S Gearing set to run it, so I made my own, worked fine for the two times I have used it so far. The table needed no repair, just cleaning and painting.

That 10" B&S I also bought off of eBay, but it required a little repair.

Luckily, I'm not in business, so I never worry about ROI!
DSCN7961.jpg
DSCN0410.jpg

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:12 pm

Search ebay with an appropriate search and then sort the results by distance.

You will find some near you and have an advantage over anyone who needs it shipped.

I picked up a 9" Troyke for $75, so deals are out there.

Steve

SteveM

Post by SteveM » Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:14 pm

hoppercar wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:52 pm
Looking for a good used, troyke, 9 or 10 inch Manuel rotary table
You might want to add your location to your profile.

Someone on here may have one close to you, but they don't know.

Steve

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:41 pm

RONALD wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:10 am
Bought a Brown & Sharpe 18" Powered Rotary on eBay, but I never found the B&S Gearing set to run it, so I made my own, worked fine for the two times I have used it so far. The table needed no repair, just cleaning and painting.

That 10" B&S I also bought off of eBay, but it required a little repair.

Luckily, I'm not in business, so I never worry about ROI!

DSCN7961.jpg

DSCN0410.jpg
even though i have been a dial spinner for 60+ years and a machine tool software developer for over 30 -> there are times when having a servo to do the work makes a LOT of sense.

It is a brilliant setup, but a bunch of gears, shafts and uni joints is more stuff than I could find (that fit) in my shop....

hoppercar

Post by hoppercar » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:14 pm

A 9 inch for 75 bucks....man, that's unreal ....lol.....I never fall into deals like that