Posting Spreadsheets

Get community help here, post test messages, suggestions etc. I will also document here changes that take place such as maintenance and upgrades.

Moderators: Harold_V, Marty_Escarcega

tornitore45

Posting Spreadsheets

Post by tornitore45 »

Is there a reason why is not possible to post spreadsheets on most boards?
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Steggy

Re: Posting Spreadsheets

Post by Steggy »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:41 pmIs there a reason why is not possible to post spreadsheets on most boards?
I can think of several reasons. However, the most important reason is lack of standardization. Despite what Microsoft would like you to think, not everyone uses Excel—in fact, not everyone uses spreadsheets, Excel or otherwise (I don't). Unless one has software loaded that is capable of opening a spreadsheet file, what good would posting one be to anybody?

Focusing specifically on Microsoft products in general, they are the means by which most of the malware in current circulation gets around. In particular, MS Office files can carry destructive viruses and/or macro code that can wreak havoc when the file is opened. Due to this characteristic, our office mail server (which is powered by Linux) is configured to strip attachments from incoming mail if said attachments are determined to be MS Office files. It is also why prudent BBS administrators disallow the attachment of such files to forum posts.

Adobe PDF files continue to be the safest way to distribute documents, as well as the one method available that approaches universality. The Adobe reader is available at no charge and versions exist for all major operating systems. Many productivity programs include an output-to-PDF option, so there is really no excuse to not use a PDF to distribute a document.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
dorin

Post by dorin »

One more thing to think about. Spreadsheets have been used to spread viruses.
www.chaski.com
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

dorin wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:03 amOne more thing to think about. Spreadsheets have been used to spread viruses.
As I said in my post. The problem isn't just with Excel spreadsheets, it's any Microsoft Office file format.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
dorin

Post by dorin »

Oops sorry! Missed that!
www.chaski.com