Pre-paid burner phone?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Pre-paid burner phone?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Well, this is the off-topic forum, so I'm taking it way off topic. And the question is: what's a good, cheap burner phone? And where to buy?

My wife and I share a phone but she's going in for surgery in San Francisco. She'll be laid up for about a week, and I'll be up there bouncing in and out of the hospital. She'll need our phone and I'll need a burner to call her and make other calls. I don't want or need anything expensive. All I need is something that will work for a week and will make calls. I don't even need any apps.

So do any of you have experience with these and could make a recommendation? THANKS!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Bill Shields

Re: Pre-paid burner phone?

Post by Bill Shields »

Low end Samsung. I have an A20 that I paid maybe $85 new at Walmart 3 years ago.

Try backmarket.com
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks, Bill. I'll check that out.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

If you want to go cheaper Google search for "dumb phone". It's actually becoming the new craze amongst the 25 to 35 year age group.

The youth are starting to feel that smart phones are controlling their lives and there is a yearning for a basic phone with no internet. Dumb phones sales are up to 1 billion this year (vs 1.4 for smart phones).

Hell maybe there is hope for the youth yet

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Unfortunately, depending on where you live, this means a minimum of 4G , 4GLTE phone. Since 5G rollouts, many of the towers covering 3G have been converted.

In some areas, where tower space is at a premium, even the 4G service is going to be short lived.

There is nothing wrong with a refurbished phone. Keep also in mind that was Apple continues it's March, support for oiler apps tends to drop off. My wife's apple 6 phone will no longer do online banking, and cannot be upgraded...so a perfectly good phone...is obsolete
atunguyd

Post by atunguyd »

The new dumb phones (otherwise called Y feature phones) will work with the latest technology too.

For example the new Nokia 5710 supports LTE is only $69 and has a 20 day battery life.
Or get the Nokia 225 4G for $47 on Amazon. Also a 20 day battery life

Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Very interesting. Thanks for the tips. Considering that this would be a short-time use, could I get a "dumb phone" that's a pay-by-the-minute? I don't want or need a long-term monthly plan.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I am on Att monthly service...no contract
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I'll check that out. I'll only need this for a week and for a few dozen calls.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

atunguyd wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:07 am If you want to go cheaper Google search for "dumb phone". It's actually becoming the new craze amongst the 25 to 35 year age group.

The youth are starting to feel that smart phones are controlling their lives and there is a yearning for a basic phone with no internet. Dumb phones sales are up to 1 billion this year (vs 1.4 for smart phones).

Hell maybe there is hope for the youth yet

LoL, the irony.

I still have my StarTAC and several later ones.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...