Darn Mitutoyo mic wore out on me.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Richard_W

Re: Darn Mitutoyo mic wore out on me.

Post by Richard_W »

pete wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:51 pm If that mike is still a current model it's an option worth considering. ..... They came back in as new condition for about half the price of a new set. So if they still have repair parts for that mike it could still be cheaper than buying a new one. An email about replacing the only two parts that could be worn as well as what series of mike it is should get you a fairly accurate price. Recalibration would also check and verify the anvils flatness so that could rule out a repair as being non cost effective.
I don't know if that mic is current. I don't have it with me, but I believe it was Mitutoyo made in Brazil about 40 years old. Several of the ones I have are made in Brazil. It just kind of bothered me because I have been doing a lot of bearing fits with it. I priced a new one and I am not going to spend that kind of money for a new micrometer at this time in my life. I ordered a new imported one just about an hour ago. I am thinking that I need a set of gauge blocks to check all my micrometers. The company doesn't have a set of gauge blocks. Which is really kind of odd with the new CNC mills and lathes they have bought.

Richard W
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »

SteveM wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:12 am As people have said, if the error is a constant, it's just a matter of adjusting the barrel until it is correct.

Testing with gauge blocks that are, for example, in increments of 0.100" won't tell you much because you are at the same rotation of the spindle.

Also, if your anvil faces aren't parallel to each other, you can get seemingly random errors when measuring round stuff.

A test kit like this:
Mikemaster.jpg

Steve
So where does one get a test kit like that?

Richard W.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Richard_W wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:47 pm So where does one get a test kit like that?
I got mine off ebay.

Just be patient and you'll get one for a reasonable price.

Steve
Richard_W

Post by Richard_W »