Next winter's project

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

stephenc

Re: Next winter's project

Post by stephenc »

I grew up on a farm can't say I was fond of it . I then spent most of my working career in the mining industry . I didn't hate it .
But when you ride a seat around to earn your living you tend to try to avoid another one . Then you get older and start thinking about that 8 cord of firewood you cut every year and how much easier life would be with a loader and a set of pallet forks .
I'm not there yet . But two , three years ....

I also have a fascination with old gas burning engines . Antique tractors are a cheap toy to play with . I didn't pay a whole lot for the case . I won't spend very much money on it . I'll get it running properly and there my interest will end and it'll find a new home .
It'll be easy to sell once I'm bored with it because I won't be bothered with a need to do anything but get the money I have invested in it back out of it . That'll be a fair bit south of $1500 .

The case caught my eye because there wasn't any dealers within 75 miles of where I grew up until the late 60's so tractors older then that aren't common and this was the first running sc I've ever seen first hand that was close enough to get .

For those who aren't antique tractor guys , it's not as big as it looks .
It's 23 hp at the pto and 19hp at the draw bar . It's a two plow tractor .
Case must have owned interest in iron mines because while a typical two plow tractor would weigh 3500 lbs or so the sc is 4200lbs dry .
Case didn't believe in a need to add ballest to the front end hence the large pedestal casting and solid cast front wheel that weigh around 125 lbs each .
liveaboard

Re: Next winter's project

Post by liveaboard »

A friend of mine had a Case loader/backhoe; he named it Justin Case.
He rebuilt it and then used it for 40 years.