Cant find any Gel flux for AL brazing

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

diyer

Cant find any Gel flux for AL brazing

Post by diyer »

Just as the title says, I have not been able to find any "GEL" type flux. Everything seems to be powder types. Powders seem ok if the work-piece is flat, but not for vertical work? I can mix them with water but they still dont adhere well to the work surface, if at all.

Can I mix the powder type flux with something to thicken it and still stay within the temp needed for brazing, which seems to be 700F, but I also see some references to temps as high as 1143F. Wiki says Al melts @ 1200F Perhaps it just depends on what your doing. But either way, I still need a gel ?

Thank you for your time.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
jcfx

Re: Cant find any Gel flux for AL brazing

Post by jcfx »

Have you looked on McMaster ?
They have a aluminum soldering paste ( # 7696A3 ) that might suit your purpose.

TIP: McMaster doesn't publish brand names or technical data ( TDS ) for many items, but items like adhesives, flux they do supply
a material safety data sheet from the manufacturer, click on details and look for SDS.
That can give you the manufacturer and googling can get you to their site for more info and other things they may make.
diyer

Post by diyer »

Thank you. I will check out that product. Didnt even think of McMaster. :o I rarely buy from them. I should get familiar with their catalog again. Been years since I looked at one.
"When you have both a secret government and an open government -- you have a secret government."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

diner:
I suspect that McMaster-Carr can be considered a major supplier to the Live Steam hobby!
They certainly have been for me these past several decades, both commercial and hobby.
RussN