Approaching the Apex

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Approaching the Apex

Post by Harold_V »

spro wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:13 pm I thought you were a friend of mine.
I can only assume that you are directing your comments towards me.

If so, I am a friend of yours, and it is for that reason that I have been tolerant, as I recognize the good you have provided for this venue. I have also recognized the disjointed candor that has been so distracting to most readers. For that reason you have been admonished to attempt to keep with the purpose of this board, which is to NOT be controversial, to be polite, to keep language acceptable for children and the aged, as we know nothing of the following this board receives, so we hope to present something that is acceptable for all. No one is offended by polite behavior, which can not be said for behavior that is rude and thoughtless.
It is so easy to leave towards "greener pastures" . I didn't want to leave a trail that others would mock up.
The reading audience on this venue tends to be kind and gentle. Most of them (us) are here for the betterment of society, to share what we know, to lend a hand to those who may be struggling with their projects, to provide the necessary tip that gets them over the hump. It is highly unusual for readers, here, to be unkind, to mock others. We don't generally tolerate such behavior---it's not what the board is about.
There was passion and experiences over a long time. Not good enough? Fine.
I'm not quite sure I understand what is meant by that. If, by chance, one gets the wrong impression that time spent on the board provides some kind of insulation against the rules, that, somehow, because one has been here for a long time, they are not required to uphold the simple rules of the board, then you are misinformed. I have been here longer than anyone besides the board owner and Marty, the board administrator. I am not exempt from the rules. I am filled with anger from the miserable leadership this country has endured, but it is not the purpose of this board to give me a voice in venting my frustrations, so I refrain from doing so. Further, I swear like a drunken sailor, but I don't do it on this board. I have respect for the needs and wants of the owner, and of the administrator. I have respect for my fellow readers, who may not enjoy such behavior. I also have enough pride in myself to try to not be offensive to others, using this venue as a means to do so. I have been entrusted with the power to destroy the board with a single click---and I do not want to destroy that trust.

I have a job to do on this board. That job is to ensure that it operates well, to be free of bad language, to be free of politics, to be free of religion. It also entails the disciplining of readers who choose to ignore the mandates set forth. For ANY reader to expect me to ignore their transgressions because we are "friends" is unreasonable.
Please don't further dirty my path but That means you are Going to do it.
The only one who dirties your path is you. You have the option of behaving, of observing the rules of the board. If you choose to ignore the mandates set forth and continue to post nonsense, you should not be surprised that some readers will have less than complimentary responses. Most folks come here to learn, to pursue their interests, their passions. They do NOT come here to read nonsense, to try to decipher veiled comments that are easily misunderstood, to have their senses offended by those who insist on being a part of the venue, yet don't have the discipline to not be disruptive.

I am giving you a month off as of this moment. If, when that time elapses, you come back to this board with more nonsense, you will be banned permanently.

You alone are responsible for your destiny on this board. You have been given more than enough opportunities to show that you wish to remain a reader and participant. You, alone, have chosen to show that you are either not willing, or capable.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Just be done with it. I will go away silently.
Thanks to my folks who sort of understand. Yes Dear Harold, I wish you all respect. Smooth exit.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I failed to click the (temporary) banishment, thus spro was allowed to respond. I am thankful that I did, as I can better understand his mindset.
That said, this time the banishment has been clicked--and it is as I proposed. He has a month to reflect on his behavior, and has the opportunity to rejoin us, assuming he has the desire. I will hold to my promise of a permanent banishment should he do so and not behave. I will expect focus on the board purpose, with no ventures in fantasy land, nor veiled comments that leave the reader guessing. If we can't receive that degree of respect, he won't be welcome to join us.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Thank you Harold.
RussN
mklotz

Post by mklotz »

Yes, well handled indeed. Hopefully his temporary banishment will impress upon him the negative impact of his behavior and push him toward a more sociable behavior.
Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Key takeaway from all this is Chaski is not a daycare center or a mental health facility. If someone has emotional or psychiatric issues this isn't the place to make it known.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Well, Spro is "banished". I for one hope he doesn't return as this dying forum doesn't deserve his input and intelligence. What harm was done? Have Harold's toadies ever tried not clicking on some ones posts? Band together and whine to get someone run off, that's the jackals way!

Spro was a gentleman to me when I first joined this forum and was among the first to welcome me. A little off-beat? Yes. A little eccentric? Yes. A little arrogant and condesending? No. Always a gentleman. Helped when he could.

Big dumb dinosaur, you should be ashamed for what you insinuated in your last post, you have no idea what is going on in some ones life or mind. I only hope you or your circle don't have to suffer from mental illness in your lives.

For all of Harold's minions that are reveling in Spro's situation, get a fricken life for crying out loud. What will you feel like when they come for you?

I am leaving this fetid fifedom voluntarily, for the most part good people but the internet experts ruin the experience. Oh, John Hasler, it's has been 2 1/2 years since I questioned you on chlorine piping, are you still trying to come up with an answer?

Shame on all involved in a good persons anguish. Hope you are all happy with yourselves.

Over and out, B4
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Spro is ok with me, and I'm sorry he got banned; but I understand.
I also hope he'll be back.
Maybe he'll ease off on the quasi-philosophical stuff here on home machinist in future.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

b4autodark wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:39 pm What harm was done? Have Harold's toadies ever tried not clicking on some ones posts? Band together and whine to get someone run off, that's the jackals way!
While it may appear to the casual observer that that is what has transpired, you have to understand the negative effect spro has had on the operation of this board, and you would be well served to understand the degree of tolerance that has been offered. The problems with him go a long way back and nothing we have tried to do to rein him in has helped. Time and again he'd post, then delete his comments. For that bad choice all readers have paid a price, as that's the reason why the edit button has been removed from the board. No amount of reasoning with him would make a difference.

Time and again he'd post off topic, occasionally with unacceptable language, often not even in the junk drawer. Such posts were edited to remove the poor choice of words, generally without changing the point of his post. Posts were commonly moved to the junk drawer, as the majority were off topic. He was unable to drop the topic of politics, turning to veiled comments instead, in spite of having been warned. He was hell bent on doing what he wanted to do, and would try every possible avenue to post his thoughts.
Spro was a gentleman to me when I first joined this forum and was among the first to welcome me. A little off-beat? Yes. A little eccentric? Yes. A little arrogant and condesending? No. Always a gentleman. Helped when he could.
Yes, indeed! He has those fine attributes, and has displayed them. However, he also has a way of being disruptive. He has made my job difficult, yet I have tolerated him for years. At some point there must be relief. I have chosen to try to achieve that goal. Please do not blame others for the misdeeds of spro.

H