junk

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: junk

Post by Harold_V »

curtis cutter wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:19 am I had an old 4 port Roadmaster.

I liked my 48 Dodge pickup more. Maybe it was the hood scoop or the floor starter. The hood scoop was used to keep the engine blowby out of the cab.... :)
Heh! Brings back memories of my childhood, when my dad owned a '36 Dodge sedan. It, too, had both those features.
One of the best things that was done to auto engines was to install PCV, so we no longer had to endure that stinky engine smell.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:36 am
curtis cutter wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:19 am I had an old 4 port Roadmaster.

I liked my 48 Dodge pickup more. Maybe it was the hood scoop or the floor starter. The hood scoop was used to keep the engine blowby out of the cab.... :)
Heh! Brings back memories of my childhood, when my dad owned a '36 Dodge sedan. It, too, had both those features.
One of the best things that was done to auto engines was to install PCV, so we no longer had to endure that stinky engine smell.

H
Remember 50 years ago when you would be climbing a hill on a freeway and you could not see due to the exhaust of the semi's. Now I come up the Nisqually Grade southbound and I can have trucks all around me and see the road miles ahead. Unless it is raining...
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I also recall how you'd be trapped behind them, as they were mostly under-powered, and had to gear down to climb grades. Today they often pass you on hills. What a change we've seen in our time.

I often hear that they "don't make them like they used to", when discussing autos. I'm the first to admit that modern cars have little, if any, personality, and tend to be butt ugly, but they are the finest of quality in regards to mechanical consideration. It was commonly accepted that a car with 100,000 miles had pretty much outlived its useful life back then, while, today, that isn't the case.

Now if we could just get people to keep their phones out of their hands and resort to having real conversations. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm I also recall how you'd be trapped behind them, as they were mostly under-powered, and had to gear down to climb grades. Today they often pass you on hills. What a change we've seen in our time.

I often hear that they "don't make them like they used to", when discussing autos. I'm the first to admit that modern cars have little, if any, personality, and tend to be butt ugly, but they are the finest of quality in regards to mechanical consideration. It was commonly accepted that a car with 100,000 miles had pretty much outlived its useful life back then, while, today, that isn't the case.

Now if we could just get people to keep their phones out of their hands and resort to having real conversations. :wink:

H
Or trying to pass those under-powered trucks on a grade, in the rain, with vacuum windshield wipers.... :)
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

That I had completely forgotten, although I sure do remember that it was troublesome. :wink:

Do I remember correctly, that they (partially) solved that problem by building a combination fuel/vacuum pump, at least on some vehicles?

H
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

Did some work on a Buick, 1925 Roadster, rear axle seals leaking, made from leather, machined sleeves and installed modern lip seals.
Driving that was a mission, accelerator pedal between clutch and brake pedal, manual advance retard, crash gearbox, mechanical brakes and no power steering in those days.
Doing 30 mph in that beast was like doing 100 mph in a modern car, you would not dare to touch a cell phone!
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:17 pm It was commonly accepted that a car with 100,000 miles had pretty much outlived its useful life back then, while, today, that isn't the case.
Now they're just getting broken in at 100k. Getting 250-300k is not unheard of.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
steamandbonsai

Post by steamandbonsai »

Truly, modern vehicles are amazing compared to the past.....but it is frustrating that home appliances are now engineered for much shorter life.
Dan S.
Tualatin, OR
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I recently bought a supercharged 1998 Mercedes coupe with 237,000 miles on it.
Runs perfect.
And it even looks good.

I'm terrified of the electronics in it though.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 4:12 pm I recently bought a supercharged 1998 Mercedes coupe with 237,000 miles on it.
Wow! My 1999 Dodge 3500, purchased new, has only 27,000 miles to its credit. Diesel powered, I can see how it might last for another 200 years at the rate it's being used. I'm not sure I'll be around that long, considering I'm 80 now. :D

H
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

steamandbonsai wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:01 pm Truly, modern vehicles are amazing compared to the past...
Don't worry. They've found a solution to that. "Biodegradeable" electrical insulation. Since they are now making the bodies out of plastic, you can expect them to start being "biodegradeable" as well.

"Power train is fine but the car is totalled because raccoons ate all the non-metal parts."
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Yeah, that happens. Rats eat wiring and vacuum hoses.

The engineering of the moving parts has gone so far that they are no longer the parts that die first. Usually, it's rust that ends a vehicle's life, but if you live in a dry place and garage it, then the electronics are the ticking bomb.
My car was cheap; really cheap. Not a spot of rust on it, runs great.
Because everyone knows that one day soon, one of the many complex gizmos in there will give out and it won't be worth figuring out which one [if anyone even can].

I bought a used turbo-diesel engine for another old car I have, just a couple of hundred bucks.
There are more of that engine type on scrapyard storage racks then there are cars on the road that will ever need them.