OT creative language

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: OT creative language

Post by Harold_V »

Simple. It's an attempt to have a political statement when it's common knowledge that such things are not appropriate for this board. He knows better.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Speaking of words, when did you see "atsea" ? BDD used it . I only saw that word with crossword puzzles. My 1930 dictionary doesn't have it but it is a very old term for being lost, without bearings or compass. Awash with hundreds of miles of sea all around and not knowing which direction to go. I certainly did not want that to happen to BDD and appreciate his company here. I think Big Knowledge Dinosaur makes more sense= BKD. :)
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 amSimple. It's an attempt to have a political statement when it's common knowledge that such things are not appropriate for this board. He knows better.
I suspected it was either that or the side-effects of some kind of medication. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Our friend spro is quite the wordsmith, although it's unusual for me to get the drift of his posts. More a reflection of my poor education than anything, as he's a good guy and is a fountain of knowledge on machine tools. We're happy to have him here, but there are times when I wonder what he's smoking! :)

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
spro

Post by spro »

Nothing special. Tobacco, carbon monoxide and embalming fluid..Maybe some antifreeze. :)
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

E cigs!
They're not looking too good right now.

H
spro

Post by spro »

Not my jest but familiar with them. There is Jewel which is under attack. There isn't a way to refill those small pods. They are very slim, flat and lots of nicotine, which is sort of a poison, especially to younger people. The fluid is of two sorts and one sticks in the lungs. The Alto is larger and different. The pods contain the heating element and are successfully re injected with another fluid a few times. Then the heating element burns out. I'm not even talking about the larger ones, size of a cigarette pack. It is all bad of course. Smoke is bad and it does trigger the body to expel it. Hydration and active system can clean what you smoked the night before but coughing and spitting can't go too long.
spro

Post by spro »

Fwiw , not smoked a normal cigarette for couple of weeks. I think I have this beat. There where times where you want to pull a full drag into your lungs. I do believe that wars were won because soldiers and pilots were jacked with nicotine. Bless their souls.
Dad said; if I knew that I would live this long...but it wasn't lung cancer.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

My father was a smoker. When he was about 52 years old, on his way home from a half day's work on a Saturday, he pulled his pack of smokes from his pocket, looked at them and tossed them out the window. Never touched them again.

What it takes to stop appears to me to be the decision to do so. He made the decision. That he was a strong willed person most likely helped.

I've never touched 'em, although I smoked a pipe (and the occasional good cigar) for several years.

You can do it.

H
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Nicotine is one of the toughest addictions; really underestimated I think.
I've never been a druggy but I grew up with many; alcoholics and gambling addicts too.
A young friend of mine was addicted to crack cocaine; he stopped that and became a raging alcoholic.
My wife helped him, and he gave up alcohol too; all this before he was 18 years old.
He told us cigarettes was the next thing he had to give up; but he never succeeded.
Today he's just become a grandfather.
Still doesn't touch drugs or alcohol, still smokes cigarettes, still would like to stop.

Many people do succeed, it's tough but maybe easier now that cigarette smoke isn't reeking in every pubic space.
My OH and I never ate out, because of people smoking in restaurants. It just wasn't pleasant to us.
Never went to bars or clubs for the same reason.
One time, friends made is go to a popular dance club; my lungs were burning the next day and my clothes stank of it.
When smoking was banned in those places, the proprietors screamed how they would lose all their customers; but only 15% of people were smokers even then, and the rest of us prefer to breath air.
The clubs and bars are going better than ever, smoke free.
We still never go; to late for us now, thank god.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Harold_V wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:59 am My father was a smoker. When he was about 52 years old, on his way home from a half day's work on a Saturday, he pulled his pack of smokes from his pocket, looked at them and tossed them out the window. Never touched them again.
Cold turkey is really the only way to quit smoking. It takes a lot of self-discipline to do so, but as your dad demonstrated, it can be done.

Passing note: most of the guys I knew in my (much) younger days who were smokers are now pushing daisies. Others are still alive but in much worse health than me—and I have been having cardiac contretemps for some two years. There is absolutely nothing good about ingesting the combustion products of burning weeds (tobacco or that other infamous weed). The lung damage is generally non-reversible and cumulative. Also, there are the well-known cardiovascular issues associated with smoking—smokers are much more likely to experience a fatal MI than non-smokers.

I've never smoked and have never understood why anyone would smoke. As for Juul and its ilk, that's just indulgence of a drug addiction. I can't dredge up much sympathy for anyone who sucks on one of those things and then ends up in the ER or the medical examiner's office. We're all going to die from something, but there's no point in hastening the inevitable. :D
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Old German proverb. To soon we grow old. To late we grow smart.
Cary