Dorian

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

spro

Dorian

Post by spro »

To our friends and citizens of the looming threat of hurricane Dorian; It would be difficult to message after it happened. I hope you are prepared. It is cat 5 and a spinning top. The thought is that it will climb around the east coast but there is atmospheric differences to pull it westward. This isn't over by far.
curtis cutter

Re: Dorian

Post by curtis cutter »

Take the globe at turn it to the location you wish to look at. You can click on the word Earth in the lower left and bring up a host of features.
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/w ... 475,47.420

This is a cool site to monitor lightning strikes. You can zoom in and see the sound wave travel from each strike. Each strike will appear as a red dot and the wave propogates outward from there.
https://www.lightningmaps.org/?lang=en# ... ;dl=2;dc=0;
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Things are looking good for nearly all of Florida. You should never listen to the TV Chicken Littles. They have a long and shoddy history of lying and exaggerating in order to make more money and raise their profiles. The best information is always on the Internet.

Dorian is weakening already, the system keeping it from moving north (away from land) has collapsed, and storm surge predictions on the coast max out at 7 feet. That's the worst case, so it will probably be much less.

The Bahamas are experiencing a nightmare scenario, but it affects very few people because of the low population density.

Nothing is ever certain with hurricane predictions, but it now looks unlikely that any part of Florida other than a little strip on the coast will get hurricane-force winds, and the storm should be weaker than it is now when that happens.

I probably shouldn't post this. Some people get really mad when you deliver good news about hurricane forecasts. It's the craziest thing. But they don't mind at all when TV heads terrify people with dishonest reporting.

The TV propaganda was a real problem when I was caring for my dad. They scared him over and over, and when I reassured him with the truth, he would forget, so the cycle would repeat itself.

The future looks rosy where I am. My only regret is that I already ate my cache of hurricane Pop Tarts.

Windy.com is very good, although they did post a despicable panic incitement on Friday. Ignore the stories and watch the computer models.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

You may consider it "false reports" by the news, but one never knows how the weather may turn until the last minute and then it's too late. I have a friend who lives on Vero Beach and once the storm strikes, you can't get to the mainland. If you don't evacuate, you put first res-ponders lives at risk when they are asked to rescue you. I would not want to risk that. During Katrina, I evacuated to Florida. When I returned, it looked like Hiroshima after the bomb was dropped. Many lives were lost. Better safe than sorry.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I don't just "consider" the news false. It often IS, as I showed with the video. I'll put up two more examples of reporters doing unethical things to gin up hysteria.

Of course, storms can turn. Everyone knows that. It's important to make appropriate preparations, as I have. But the press has been dishonest and inflammatory, as usual. They do this every year. Some character at the Weather Channel put up a warning on Friday saying this storm was DEFINITELY going to hit Florida. They stir up panic with no sense of responsibility. I never listen to them, ever. It's not helpful at all.

I didn't enjoy dealing with a dementia patient who was scared over and over by their nonsense, and I know many other people were in the same situation as I was. If my dad were alive right now, the hurricane would be the only thing he would be talking about. It's cruel to play with people in order to get ratings.

As of Friday morning, three days ago, the forecast was for the storm to fail to make landfall in Florida, and even today, people who listen to fake news have texted me because they were worried.

A person would have to be totally uninformed to believe he should watch the TV news to get hurricane news. The Internet is the only source of reliable information.

I've been through a bunch of hurricanes and tropical storms, and I know exactly what I'm doing. If I listened to the ratings junkies, I would be like everyone else, running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I live in the most Typhoon, Cyclone, Hurricane prone country in the world and it amazes me that the people living near me do no or little preparations with the impending Typhoon.
We had one go directly over us in 2006, 170 MPH wind strength, I thought we were going to lose the roof, truly terrifying, then blue sky, birds chirping.
Yes we were in the eye, my partner said she was going to the local shop to buy bottled water, I warned her against it but she proceeded, 10 minutes later the wind was howling and she could barely walk against it, I could hardly open the gate to let her in.
No electricity or water for 2 weeks, refrigerators, washing machines and cars floating down the river, 22 dead in our city.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I just saw a headline on Yahoo News. Dorian is "APPROACHING FLORIDA" and "PICKING UP SPEED." Totally false. The eye of the storm is traveling faster, which is a good thing, not bad. The winds have dropped off by 40%.

These people are impervious to reason. It's a shame we can't sue them for scaring people.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

I've got Jim Cantore here where I am with his swim goggles on trying to make it look like something is happening when we've only had 35 mph gusts and light rain. I think someone must be spraying him with a big fan and a hose. He and these other local news reporters are pathetic...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
spro

Post by spro »

It appears the hype has also penetrated weather reports too much.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Cantore is trying to justify all those cheeseburgers he ordered from room service at the Marriott while he was spending several days in bed binging on Netflix shows.
rudd

Post by rudd »

Savannah GA: We have a light rain and maybe 5mph winds right now. We have a 2% chance of winds of 74mph + tonight. That is on the coast. Figure 80% of that in town due to friction - trees, houses, etc.
We went out for coffee this morning, I saw 2 houses boarded up. I'm at 29' AMSL. Storm surge is expected to be 4'.
Evacuate from water, shelter from wind. This thing is much less than Matthew, and I stayed for that one too. One man was killed when a tree went through his house. 3 people were killed in a wreck just west of town while evacuating.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It has been really nice here today. I was hoping for another day of pleasant hurricane weather, but it looks like the breeze will go away tonight.