how to use youtube?

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

jcfx

Re: how to use youtube?

Post by jcfx »

tornitore45 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:49 am
they have bills to pay,
Google made 9.4 Billions tax free profits last year. That is a little bit more than paying bills.
A by product of not selling ad space to break even. :D
TomB wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:23 am
jcfx wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:05 am
TomB wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:29 pm But both Google and Youtube are really in the business of focused advertising.
I think the bottom line is that Google and Youtube aren't in the business of focused advertising,
they have bills to pay,
A companies product is not the bills they pay, it is not stuff they give away. A companies product is what they sell.

G & Y sell advertising slots that are focused on providing the buyer with details about the user. That is only relevant to their position with respect to the countries anti-trust laws. Thinking that way makes a person aware of just how tech companies are flouting the law. That the advertising slots G & Y sell are more aggravating that those sold on TV is probably related to the fact that they are monopolies and don't give a dam about the user's attitude.
It is agreed that G (as an example ) is flouting the anti trust laws, the EU fined them billions, but the fact of the matter is most
lawmakers are from a pre internet generation, and as I mentioned before the web changes fast, can they get up to speed ?
are they even interested ?

Speaking for myself I use ad/tracking blockers, use a more privacy oriented browser, which will alleviate targeted ads
which it does, and selectively nuke cookies, I think that's probably all anyone can do short of not using the web.