Feeling Bored.

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

armscor 1

Feeling Bored.

Post by armscor 1 »

Decided to make this.
Drives the Dog mad when the pointer moves.
Attachments
IMG-20190723-WA0000.jpg
spro

Re: Feeling Bored.

Post by spro »

I like it a lot. There is much to them as in balance and total vertical rigidity. Weather forecasts all day but looking at that weather vane can tell a lot. This was a real balancing act for the pointer Thanks for sharing.
armscor 1

Post by armscor 1 »

I used two 22mm x 8mm x 9mm bearings mounted 1 inch apart back to back, removing 1 metal shield from each bearing, removed existing grease and oiled with way oil.
Virtually no resistance to rotation and moves with the slightest wind speed.
The bearings are shrouded in the housing to prevent moisture and insects getting inside the bearings.
Brother suggested I beat out a copper Rooster and join the 2 halves but that is beyond my skill set!
spro

Post by spro »

I think a rooster would just spin around and upset the balance.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

armscor 1 wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:42 pm Brother suggested I beat out a copper Rooster and join the 2 halves but that is beyond my skill set!
If woodcarving is in your wheelhouse, carve the rooster into wood and then beat the copper sheet into the wood form.

I thought of beating a sheet of copper around a rifle stock and forend, then mating it up to two pieces of copper tubing to make a Holland and Holland weather vane.

Steve