wheel pullers

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

mikechoochoo

wheel pullers

Post by mikechoochoo »

I have stripped out the threads on two wheel pullers with acne threads and just picked up two others at an auction that have fine V threads. The new to me ones, with fine threads were made by the Owatonna Tool Company here in the US. I would have thought that the acne thread would be stronger but it appears that's not the case. Do better pullers all have fine threads?
Also does anyone know where I could get 1 foot pieces of fine thread grade 8 threaded rod without a minimum order or excessive shipping?
Thanks, Mike
Steggy

Re: wheel pullers

Post by Steggy »

mikechoochoo wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:09 pm I have stripped out the threads on two wheel pullers with acne threads and just picked up two others at an auction that have fine V threads. The new to me ones, with fine threads were made by the Owatonna Tool Company here in the US. I would have thought that the acne thread would be stronger but it appears that's not the case. Do better pullers all have fine threads?
Owatonna's pullers are good quality, so you can't go wrong there. I've got one that I purchased back when Nixon was king...er...president and it's still serviceable.

The Acme (not ACNE :D ) thread is better from a long-term wear standpoint, but for a given diameter, V-threads will be stronger and won't have as much friction under load. Also, there is a limit to how fine a pitch can be achieved with Acme threads. It is the fine pitch of the puller's leadscrew that gives you the needed mechanical advantage. In Acme at the same pitch, the threads will be weaker. Hence the use of V-threads.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

All my OTC pullers, and OTC wanna-be's are fine thread, not acme (I have some cheapies and who know's where they came from models too) . Hard to get better than OTC. Quality stuff.
Fact is, out of a couple dozen pullers, the only one I have with acme threads is a vibration damper puller I got from American Auto Parts (long gone) in the 70's. Newer one I bought from Carquest, is NF....and works better....has finer threads than the old acme threaded one, so less effort.

McMaster sells grade 8 all thread. Not sure about MSC.....Enco did, but alas.......
I have built a lot of pullers with B7, which is a touch above grade 5, and more available, and has a more friendly price than grade 8.
I have also built my own threaded rod for pullers, with 4140/4142 Q&T, (pre-hardened) and had no problems.

Bill
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
spro

Post by spro »

I like a wheel puller to have fine fitting threads. Too many of them are just sloppy and don't get any better with use. OTC is great as is Williams. I had a couple Sears which were kind of odd ( the base was a forged disk and the legs sort locked around the rim.) I wore one out removing a tapered rear drum from a hearse but I was using a long sledge hammer on it. Bought another with a tighter hub and was good because now I had 6 legs.
Oh, it wasn't acme.