Today's Discovery: Wire Gauge Drill Bits for Carbs

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Today's Discovery: Wire Gauge Drill Bits for Carbs

Post by SteveHGraham »

I've had an exciting couple of weeks getting my dad's Homelite pressure washer working. My dad passed away recently, and he had a Homelite machine with very low hours, but it looked awful because it couldn't stand up to the elements. It was kept in a gazebo where it never got full sun or rain, but it still had little problems. The bungee that held the hose on turned into mush for some reason. The outer covering of the hose came apart in flakes. The worst thing was the old ethanol-poisoned gas in the tank.

I really needed to get it working, because my house, patio, and driveway were developing mold and algae problems. Also, I just felt bad about leaving the tool outside. While I was caring for my dad, I let a lot of things go. I knew this thing was basically like new under the rust and crud.

I have had lots of problems with ethanol gas, but I found a great Youtube channel which is incredibly helpful. It's called Steve's Small Engine Saloon. The proprietor drinks beer while telling people how to fix their tools.

I found the channel while Googling to try to find out how to unclog the carb. Right off the bat, a video came up in which Steve fixed a Honda carb which was identical to mine. Following his directions, I had the problem jet out quickly, and I got it open again.

I thought I was done, but the engine still surged. This is annoying, because when it surges, the pressure goes on and off unpredictably.

Lo and behold, Steve had another video featuring a pressure washer. He showed how to take out the pilot jet and ream it with a tool I had never heard of: a wire gauge drill bit. These things are wild. For about $20, I got a set from Amazon, including a pin vise. They're tiny drills, so small you can barely see them. The one you use for pilot jets is 0.013" in diameter. I bought carbon steel instead of HSS because carbon flexes.

Today in about 10 minutes, I opened the carb up, reamed out the jet, and put the washer back together. Sure enough, the surging is gone.

I don't know what else these tools are good for, but they definitely work on carb jets. Makes me wonder why everyone doesn't know about them. I'm sure I could have repaired the Harley jets I've thrown out, had I known about these bits.

As long as I'm writing about pressure washers, I have learned some interesting stuff. The machines they sell at Home Depot aren't supposed to last more than a couple of years. They put nice Honda engines on them, but they know the cheap pumps won't last, especially if you use bleach (a necessity for houses). It turns out you can get new pumps on Ebay for $80, so I plan to use bleach all I want. The alternative is to pay someone $300 per year to clean my house.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
GlennW

Re: Today's Discovery: Wire Gauge Drill Bits for Carbs

Post by GlennW »

I'm sorry to hear about your father, Steve.
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Steve,

Those drills are probably #61 thru #80.

They are a continuation of the number drill set from #1 to #60 that you are probably familiar with.

Steve
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

SteveM wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 pm Steve,

They are a continuation of the number drill set from #1 to #60 that you are probably familiar with.

Steve
#80 is 0.0135" diameter.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
spro

Post by spro »

Good tips and very timely.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

If you stubborn Americans would only go metric, you'd find these drills so much more simple.
0.35mm
0.4mm
etc.
I used to have a full set; lost when I moved continents.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

GlennW wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:06 pm I'm sorry to hear about your father, Steve.
Thanks, Glenn. The way he went was a huge blessing to all concerned, but the first two weeks without him were very hard.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

liveaboard wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:01 am If you stubborn Americans would only go metric, you'd find these drills so much more simple.
0.35mm
0.4mm
etc.
Another thing that metric drills by 0.1mm gets you is fewer broken 0-80 taps.

For tapping 0-80, 3/64" drill gets you an 81% thread, a #56 gets you 83%.

With metric, a 1.3mm gets you 54%, so less chance of tap breakage, and how much thread depth do you really need in a 0-80?

Steve
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

SteveM wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:29 pm Steve,

Steve
Yep! And there's a dandy little index that accommodates them. Sure is a cute little thing. I keep mine in the same drawer in which I store the chuck used to use them (it's a 0-1/8" Albrecht keyless).

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

Sorry about your Dad Steve, it's tough, lost mine 3 years ago and I took care of him for 4 years after my Mom died. I'm still not caught up the way I should be.

I have an Anderson-Forrester GDK4080 kit, had it for years for doing oil, propane and natural gas burner orfices, really handy.

https://www.amazon.com/ANDERSON-FORRESTER-GDK4080
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Thanks, b4.

The one thing I wish I had is an index. I have to use calipers to figure out which drill bit is which.
b4autodark

Post by b4autodark »

My set is numbered on a nice little brass hex handle, otherwise it would be a jumble.