Harbor Freight Circular Saw Sharpener

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

SteveHGraham

Harbor Freight Circular Saw Sharpener

Post by SteveHGraham »

I saw something amazing on Youtube today. Harbor Freight has a $55 machine that sharpens circular saw blades up to 16" in diameter. Supposedly, it works very well on blades for woodworking machines.

I have a bunch of triple-chipped Corian blades for my table saw, and I also have a 14" blade on a dry cut saw. I thought the cost of sharpening the dry cut saw was crazy, so I have not been using it.

I don't know a whole lot about saw blades. Can anyone here think of a reason why a machine that works on ordinary woodworking blades wouldn't work on my Corian and dry cut blades? I assume the sharpened faces of circular blades are always flat and perpendicular to the direction of motion, but I may be wrong.

I'm planning on buying this tool TOMORROW. Sending saw blades out through the mail to be sharpened seems like a ridiculous and risky practice.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
Harold_V

Re: Harbor Freight Circular Saw Sharpener

Post by Harold_V »

A great deal depends on how it sharpens. If it takes material off the faces of the teeth (and does NOT alter rake angle), that's pretty good. If it removes material from the sides and periphery, not so good. You also must be concerned with the machine's ability to mount and grind the blade without altering how true it runs. That's a serious concern.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I also have a dry carbide steel cutting saw I've been using for 25 years.
I did some large steel construction projects [ship cabins] that required hundreds of cuts through 2" and larger L and T sections.
I figured the cost at $1.10 per cut at one point. Careful use improves the situation.
But it sure is fast, and the machine light enough to have on site. everyone else I knew was using handheld angle grinders [grunt].
I started using cutting solution in a spray bottle for heavy stock. Now I have a power hacksaw, but still use the drysaw for small things and tube.

So, I sure look forward to your review on the home sharpening machine.
And we'll be expecting pictures!!
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

The sharpener probably has an aluminum oxide wheel on it. While it will (slowly) sharpen carbide tips you should consider using a diamond wheel for carbide. Be aware that the diamond wheel is not for use with steel, only carbide.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The machine comes with a diamond wheel and an emery wheel. I Googled around and found a number of diamond wheels that can be substituted, if the grit doesn't make you happy.

You can adjust the angle at which the wheel contacts the carbide, but it looks like you have to make sure everything is very tight.

It appears to be a great product. It makes no sense to spend half of a blade's new price on sharpening it.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
RMinMN

Post by RMinMN »

I'm properly impressed that the sharpener has a diamond wheel. Much better than I would have expected.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

It grinds the face instead of the tip; so there will be less regrinds before there is too little carbide left to use.
For a wood blade that wouldn't make much difference, they rarely need sharpening and aren't expensive.
A drycut steel blade is expensive and requires a lot of sharpening. I have several that are worn down to chips.
Still, I suppose the money saved by doing it at home instead of sending out the blade will cover the cost difference of the more frequent blade purchase.
I have to pay $80- $90 for a new blade here in Yurp.
Ouch!
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Despite the blade support, I would imaging that there could be a lot of vibration in the blade. I would cut a circle of 1/4" aluminum to go under the blade to improve rigidity, if I found there was vibration.

Not sure if this is the best sharpening method for my 60-tooth carbide tipped table saw blade, but it would cost less to buy this than to replace all my circular saw blades.

Remember, there's always a 20% off coupon available at HF.

Steve
Mr Ron

Post by Mr Ron »

The HF saw blade sharpener can only do a face grind, which is OK for a touch-up. A true saw blade sharpener (I have one) can also do a side grind and is adjustable for alternate top bevel (ATB). When a carbide tip is damaged or has come off, it must be replaced and that requires a complete grind; top, face and sides to match the other teeth.
Mr.Ron from South Mississippi