Engineers really know their stuff

The Junk Drawer is for those Off Topical discussions where we can ask questions of the community that we feel might have the ability to help out.

Moderator: Harold_V

warmstrong1955

Re: Engineers really know their stuff

Post by warmstrong1955 »

What kind of swivel is it?
Aeroquip, Parker,, etc, make better ones....although, any of them will eventually leak. Most seal with just o-rings, with some also using back-up rings with them. Get into some bigger money, and there are models with ball bearings and U-cups.

https://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public ... l_2513.pdf
Today's solutions are tomorrow's problems.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

At least you can fix the issue with your tractor.
Well done defining the cause.
RN
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Here's what I don't get. You have two non-swiveling ends on a hose, and the hose is short, so you can't twist one end up so it will release as you tighten the second connector. You can't rotate the part. How do you install the hose so the hose doesn't try to twist the connector when the pressure is on?
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I'm delaying taking off the tractor's upper pan because I'm waiting for two DC connectors to arrive. To remove the pan, you have to pull the light sockets out of it, and they do not want to go. Twisting and greasing them doesn't help. Two cheap DC connectors will put an end to that problem.

Like I need taillights when I'm mowing the yard, but still.

I'm also waiting to pick up the patient lift I'm buying, so it will lift the pan for me. I think that contraption will be better than gold.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

SteveHGraham wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:29 am Here's what I don't get. You have two non-swiveling ends on a hose, and the hose is short, so you can't twist one end up so it will release as you tighten the second connector. You can't rotate the part. How do you install the hose so the hose doesn't try to twist the connector when the pressure is on?
Can you add a JIC adapter to one end, say....the cylinder end, make a new hose with a swivel on one end, and the regular threads on the other?
They also make hose ends with pipe swivels.

I'm not sure what connections you have....so it's hard to say from where I am....

;)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

I have two swivels, but you don't seem to have a lot of confidence in them. I don't understand how John Deere did it. Maybe it's a lot easier when the tractor hasn't been assembled and you can turn major parts however you want.
warmstrong1955

Post by warmstrong1955 »

Well....I am not sure what kind of swivels you have.

Pics??

Remember....if you want to be smarter than the 'engineers who know their stuff', you have to be able to redesign and replace what they designed and had someone install, so it's serviceable by a normal mortal.
;)
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

It will be a while before there will be photos. Waiting for the patient lift seller to get back to me. I can't just walk over and take a picture. I have to remove the pan.
spro

Post by spro »

I know it is awkward at times but you're going to get it. It may require an adapter but two arms, two hands, two wrenches- how lucky we are.