CORE BOX USING KWICK KAST II

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

CORE BOX USING KWICK KAST II

Post by Pipescs »

Earlier this year Trainman gave me some advice on using a BCC Product called Kwick Kast II that is a two part molding plastic that you can make molds from and also do plastic master castings with. Being able to make a female mold off an original and then turnaround to make multible positive copies gives you the ability to send off a copy to the foundry and not your original pattern.

My project was to produce a core box to make the cores for the Journal Boxes on a 1.6 inch per foot scale Hodges Trailing Truck.

I had made an earlier attempt with a plaster mold that worked but was failing fast as I used it. Trainman suggested the Kwick Kast II sold by BCC. I bought a one gallon kit along with a quart of mold release wax.
DSC_0181.jpg
I originally drew the core as a positive and had the part done as a Rapid Prototype by Shapeways.
Left Core (2).jpg
This I mounted to a match plate which I built a small box around out of scrap pine.
CORE BOX (2).jpg

The two part plastic comes in white and black. You end up with a gray plastic.

It pours easy and seems to not have a problem with shrinkage or air bubbles being trapped.
CORE BOX (4).jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Pipescs

Re: CORE BOX USING KWICK KAST II

Post by Pipescs »

I used two Solo Cups for measuring and waisted half a cup full when I over estimated how much I wood need.

I mixed it in a small tupperware bowl. (I guess I will be buying her a new one) After the mix dried the left over popped right out. (Sometimes I really don't understand why she gets upset).

After it had set up for around thirty minutes I flipped it over and poured the other side. Not so much waste this time.
CORE BOX (5).jpg
After it had set up I pealed the outer box pieces off.
CORE BOX (9).jpg
Before I pulled the two pieces off the matchplate I drilled two holes for alignment dowls
CORE BOX (10).jpg
After it had dried for two hours I sanded it on the bench sander to smooth up the outside. I will label it with a Sharpie as the Core Box for the Journal Box.
CORE BOX (11).jpg
CORE BOX (12).jpg

Hope to try it out this week as I am planning on doing three sets of the Trailing Truck parts prior to Putting the patterns into storage.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Re: CORE BOX USING KWICK KAST II

Post by Pipescs »

Link to BCC Plastics

http://www.bccproducts.com/
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American