Core Binders

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

tomc

Re: Core Binders

Post by tomc »

I gathered two scales to use for the correct mixture. A smal postal scale and a large UPS type for different mixture amts. Maybe an item to think about.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Back home at last. Took two days off for mental health reasons.

Managing a little time in the Man Cave today

After getting to work with Fender on the greensand project last weekend it struck me that my failure with cores could be related to sand type and the use of too much of the silicon carbonate. This was confirmed by a PM from Rwilliams. The sand I had used on the first core attempt was very fine and I believe I had put too much binder in it which being like mud did not let the gas pass thru it.

In my outings this morning I went by the local builder supply which is not a big chain store with everything in prepackaged bags and boxes.

When asked if they carried mortising sand in bags they told me that it is not carried that way as it would not be economical. They have it in a large pile from which they sell to bricklayers by the ton. After I explained what I was going to do with it they told me I could get a bucket full for free if I bought the bucket from them.

Seems fair. Bucket cost four dollars and the fifty pounds of sand was free.
DSC_0158.jpg
This time I measured the sand and binder (OK, I followed the Directions this time)

This time by the way was probably ten times less binder than I used the first time.

Rammed up the sand loosely in the molds and put the gas to it for around two minutes using a set up I stole off my sons old paintball gun. This was only fair as I had bought the new one that replaced it.
After a couple of minutes of hardening and a little wiggling they popped right out of the makeshift plaster mold.
DSC_0161.jpg

They are Black as I followed more advice from Rwilliams on the use of Graphite as a parting agent in the core box. Worked great.
DSC_0162.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Anything that sticks the sand together, will stick the core to the mold. No magic there. You have to provide a release agent. Talcum powder, (cheep baby powder) good auto paste wax, or Graphite. It is all the same purpose, just figuring out how to make it work for you.

Again, another part of the learing curve is behind you. SODIUM SILICATE takes about 10% by wieght to dampen the sand for cores. Scaling is the only way to keep it working for you. If you are running some castings every week or so, it can be mixed and saved in a bucketed bag for some time, and still be usable. Just dont get carried away. Fresh is best, but allowing it to sit will stablize the consistancy some.

You are doing well.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

Thanks for the atta boys Always appreciated

Did up a test mold on the front side of the Journal Box Pattern and fitted the core. More this week. Honey Do's are still first order of business
DSC_0165.jpg
My lower level sand trap is too large and I will need to cut it down.
DSC_0166.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

I did spend a little this week on Safety gear. I had to run a rental bottle back to the Local welding shop and stumbled on these which were on the sale rack.
DSC_0159.jpg
DSC_0163.jpg
I keep seeing people on YouTube with sandles and shorts on but I guess I am basicly a coward. I keep seeing me droping the crucible with a load of bronze onto my shoes
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Burns from molten metals are no joke. I worked in a world class foundry making tank hulls, mill rolls, and mill machine castings to hundreds of tons. I have seen the injuires just a few sparks down a boot can cause. A dropped vessel of aluminum is no joke to me. I wear heavy leather boots, bluejeans, and have silver spats for the shins. I also have flame retardant 'greens' that I wear for welding and casting.

In some of those foundry vids, you will see bare chested, or t-shited men pouring molds. The old guys say you are imune to sparks thrown, cause of the layer of sweat. I wont put THAT to the test anytime soon.

As for the attaboys, give credit where it is due. Making some art thing in playdoe, doesn't make you an artist. Learning the craft, and then producing exactly what you envision, IS. Making it perfect over and over by mastery, needs no recognition, you will know. That will be enough.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Nice score on the saftey gear. I got a long leather apron to wear over my work clothe. Glad you got your mix down. Mixture percentage is very important.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

It is amazing how well things go when you read the instructions. I believe though, that my major lesson learned is that there is a lot of difference in the term sand.

While visiting the Lancaster Foundry Supply in Pennsylvania I was shown every conceivable type of sand and clay for use with the various metals

The rest of this week I am spending working my way around the shop cleaning and throwing out old junk. Basic thought is that if it is more than two years old, or I can't remember why I have it or where I got it that it is going out.
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Little Engines American
dly31

Post by dly31 »

Pipescs wrote: The rest of this week I am spending working my way around the shop cleaning and throwing out old junk. Basic thought is that if it is more than two years old, or I can't remember why I have it or where I got it that it is going out.
Good luck with that! I just wish I could bring myself to do more of it so I had more room to work! I just need to keep telling myself that the actual space is more important than the 'maybe' future 'need' for something.
Don Young
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

The best part is when you need something, you buy it, and then you find the one you forgot you had and have been storing for the last ten years...
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
Fender

Post by Fender »

Glenn Wegman wrote:The best part is when you need something, you buy it, and then you find the one you forgot you had and have been storing for the last ten years...
Or worse, when you toss something you've never needed, then the following week.......you need it. :evil:
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Fender wrote:
Glenn Wegman wrote:The best part is when you need something, you buy it, and then you find the one you forgot you had and have been storing for the last ten years...
Or worse, when you toss something you've never needed, then the following week.......you need it. :evil:
Because that appears to be the story of my life, I discard nothing. One does have need for a lot of storage, however, which I do. And, luckily, I tend to remember what I have, often where it is.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.