Core Binders

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Pipescs

Re: Core Binders

Post by Pipescs »

Trying a new method for making core boxes. I used plaster of paris for my first attempts but am following Trainmans lead and going to this two part plastic

Small can is a parting wax

The core model is to be my first attempt
DSC_0181.jpg
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

I am taking that you are now moving away from homebrew, and backyard solutions, to more professional materials that are created for the specific needs of founding. Much more expensive, but with likely better results, along with the effort to secure the materials.

I want to see a corresponding rise in quality and effects.

With the positive model, I assume you are going to cast a block of resin, that will make the negative cavity for the core. Most core boxes I have seen were aluminum, except in this hobby where wood is used due to low production numbers.

Plaster of various types are commonly used for modeling parts and molds, as they can be shaped and modified easily. A newer wrinkle is using body type plastic filler to work out models.

From day one, the model to be cast, was always done as cheeply as possible. This concept broke down as the dimensiaonal requirements gave way to lost wax and shell molding.

It comes down to what works for you, in a home foundry setting, what could be a hobby and avocation of its own.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
rrnut-2

Post by rrnut-2 »

On the safety gear, you might also want a pair of "foundry shoes". These don't have laces and can be kicked off in a hurry in case molten metal gets into a shoe.

I have never had molten metal in my shoes in the foundry, but I have from welding. I have had burns from the foundry before though.

Jim B
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

With luck tonight will be a foundry night trying to pour two molds with Bronze for the first time. More later
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)