Making a shopping list..Chip Sweeper needs help!

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

wanderer

Making a shopping list..Chip Sweeper needs help!

Post by wanderer »

HiYa Guyz!
Newbie here..breif intro: Hi I am wanderer..long time wrench on bikes and cars..with a particular bend towards British motorcycles, Chrysler and Pontiac musclecars and a 49 Studebaker pickup!
Ok heres the Question: I am looking to build a foundry for casting cyclinder heads and barrels at the "Garage" out of aluminum, with my check coming from Uncle Sam, I need a shopping list and guidance.
I plan to recycle aluminum from autos and bike engines..how do I get it clean enough to cast and remove impurities?
For the propane furnace I was going to use a stainless steel drum (350.00 USD new) but it seems that this would be a little extravagant and a regular steel drum would surfice.
I was planning on AP Green Refractory KS4# but I hear they have been bought out ..is this the best stuff and can I still get it?
Crucibles...which is better for my application silicon or graphite? Also size I hope to cast 2 cyclinder barrels at a time (approximately 30 # cast iron)
What is the barest minumum of tongs and ladles do I need?
I have an Alnor Pyrometer that needs the replaceable parts where do I find spares?
I need the best prices that you know of so I can spread what little money I get further... Thanks in advance! [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/grin.gif"%20alt="[/img]
wanderer
Gentry's Garage
gentrysgarage@yahoo.com