Johnson furnace, uses how much fuel per session?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Johnson furnace, uses how much fuel per session?

Post by Harold_V »

While the furnace, below, isn't meant for crucible melting, it has but one feed, which was more than adequate. If memory serves, the trunnion, which was also the feed for air and fuel, was made from 1½" pipe. There was spark ignition provided at the elbow. Don't know if seeing the pictures will be helpful in the way of new ideas.

This furnace was used as a tilting reverberatory, for reducing waste materials from my years of refining precious metals. The design is mine. It worked to perfection (a lucky guess on my part). It was fueled by natural gas, but I had one pound delivery, unlike the common delivery for home use, which is approximately four ounces.

Harold
Attachments
Tilt furnace #8.jpg
Tilt furnace #1.jpg
Tilt furnace #2.jpg
crazydrummerdude

Post by crazydrummerdude »

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, and I see that PapaLion doesn't post much here.. but, I recently acquired a Johnson 520K furnace and this thread is the first result on google.

So, if you're still here, I'd like to hear how the furnace project has progressed. How's the furnace working out? Any luck changing it over to waste oil?

I'll probably start a thread about my furnace/foundry work, but here's my new acquisition:

Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

It's been well over a year since we heard from PapaLion, so I'm not inclined to think he'll make an appearance again. Please don't let that hamper you and your attempts to communicate with those amongst us that enjoy talking foundry, though. Anything you can lend to the forum is welcome, as are you.

Nice looking furnace. Care to tell us a little about its capabilities? Crucible size, perhaps, and how you intend to fire the thing?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
crazydrummerdude

Post by crazydrummerdude »

Harold_V wrote:It's been well over a year since we heard from PapaLion, so I'm not inclined to think he'll make an appearance again. Please don't let that hamper you and your attempts to communicate with those amongst us that enjoy talking foundry, though. Anything you can lend to the forum is welcome, as are you.

Nice looking furnace. Care to tell us a little about its capabilities? Crucible size, perhaps, and how you intend to fire the thing?

Harold
Not to hijack this thread, I've started another.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 14&t=91274