The SR&CL Ry foundry, watch our progress

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

tomc

Post by tomc »

Some shots of the parts we got this weekend. We are building a passenger car trucks so are making parts for that along with boxcar detail parts. The bottom pic is spring cups for the equalizer and the lump at the left is swing link blocks. They will be cut apart and drilled. Those funny things on the right are coupler cut levver brackets.

The top one is brake shoes and draft gear stop brackets, the spring that hangs out on the truck, box car door guides and body bolster center castings.

Tom C.
Attachments
Door guides, Center castings 05-24-09.JPG
New castings 05-23-09.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
tomc

Post by tomc »

Well, it finally happened. We made cores and they turned out usable the first time. The core boxes and the finally parts.

Tom C.
Attachments
Pedestal and journal box 07-06-09.JPG
Pedestal, raw & cut, door latch 07-06-09.JPG
Core boxes 07-06-09.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

more from the foundry

Post by tomc »

We made more parts over the weekend. Cores are going pretty good. I found they would warp if placed on a tub cover that wasn't flat. Will get a firmer surface to store them on before use.

Tom C.
Attachments
Parts from 7-20 & 7-18-09.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
Fender

Post by Fender »

Tom,
Your castings are great! Makes me want to get my foundry going again. First I have to clear out the "honeydew" backlog... :(
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
tomc

Post by tomc »

Dan, thanks for the kind note. I understand the honey-do thing. Get HOT! :D
tom_at_srclry_com
Charles Cleland

Post by Charles Cleland »

Tom
You did a nice on your muller ,And IT WORKS,Good show
Mine doesn't work I tried to get a llittle too far out and I have to go back to the drawing board. I always mixed my sand by hand thirty years ago and it worked fine as I was young and dumb now I am old and dumb (ha, I tried to make a couple of rollers out of wood that was spring loaded and my little 3/4 h/p motor keeps breaking the drive train ( which is almost like yours)But of course yours does not break! I have lost interest for a while BUT I will get back to it sooner or later. keep up the good work
chaz
Still hanging in there
chaz
tomc

Post by tomc »

Hi all,

We are making the same parts over and over again. Very boring! When you plan on making 3 pair of passenger trucks, you need a large amt of pieces to make them. Here is some shots from a work session.

Tom C.
Attachments
Furnace & tank 08-17-09.JPG
5 molds boxes ready 08-17-09.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Post by tomc »

Here are a couple of pics of the many parts we need. They both need to be cut from the sprue and extra metal on the heads,

Tom C.
Attachments
Journal box cover 10-24-09.jpg
Brake head 10-26-09.jpg
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Re: The SR&CL Ry foundry, watch our progress

Post by tomc »

It has been nearly 4 months since I was over to pound sand as I had to take care of wifes medical needs. She is better, so off I went. We need stake pockets for the new flat cars we are finishing up. Mel took home one of our last remaining ones and made a pattern from it to make more from resin so he could put 8 on a match plate. I rammed up some sand and got some goods one out. Some of them still have the core in them as we didn't clean them all up at first. I also tested some other ones he did and found I couldn't get the pattern to extract without breaking it up on the edges. Either needs more draft or schellac. Back to the pattern shop with those. The patterns for our marker lites came out good (lower left one). We need a bunch of those.

Tom C.
Attachments
Castings, stake pockets, marker lite 06-28-10.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Tom,
That's a good report on your wife.

You're turning out some very nice looking castings. Leads me to ask----what are you pouring? Are you buying ingot, or are you melting random aluminum pieces?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Harold, more random, we mix extruded and cast together, try to do more cast as extruded isn't as good, and then flux the mixture. Seems to work for us.

Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Ya, mixing the two, cast and extrdued seems to work best for me. All cast is brittle, and all extruded shrinks bad with misruns. Possibly not enough silicon left in the metal. Buying bar is more expensive, but not as much fun. I have not experienced breakage of the castings, or any such weekness. :mrgreen:

Glad to hear of the improvement for the wife. Wishes!
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.