The SR&CL Ry foundry, watch our progress

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

tomc

The SR&CL Ry foundry, watch our progress

Post by tomc »

HI,

We are starting a foundry and needed a burner to warm things up. Found a plan at Lionels Metalcating page and built it. Made it an in-line versis his 90 degree one. Nice blue flame.

Next up is a cart for the furnace and a handle to lift the lid.

Tom C.
Attachments
Propane Burner air holes 03-01-08.JPG
Propane Burner shutoff valve 03-01-08.JPG
Propane Burner overall view 03-01-08.JPG
Last edited by tomc on Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!
tomc

cart next

Post by tomc »

The cart is almost done. Needs lid installed and over center stop welded on. Next up is ingot molds and a pot to melt aluminum in.

Tom C.
Attachments
Furnace lid curing 0301-08.JPG
Furnace rear lower 03-01-08.JPG
Furnace side view 03-01-08.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Post by tomc »

We made some crucibles by welding a plate on a pipe and heating and bending a lip with a big hammer. Bolts and a pouring tab were welded in to easy the lifting and tipping. Then I made some ingot molds to hold the metal till it cools.

Tom C.
Attachments
Crucibles & Ingot molds 3-15-08.JPG
Crucible closeup 3-15-08.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

tomc, DANGER < DANGER WILL ROBINSON! ok, oil your molds, after you blast them free of rust. DO NOT pour molten aluminum into the molds I see. They will POP and Explode molten aluminum as you pig out. I have the same forms but they must be FREE FROM IRON RUST, or they will pop and spray aluminum when poured. This is the same system I use, but HEAT the molds to prevent water from condensing on the molds and remove oxides as the AL will react and pop the molds splattering the shop. Ask me how I know. ( GRIN)..

Ya, you got it goin, just do it right to be safe.

Good work, I bid you peace.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
tomc

Post by tomc »

Thanks Big Dave. We will watch that closely.
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Post by tomc »

We fired up the furnace to drive out the moisture. A few pics.

Tom C.
Attachments
Burner to furnace 03-29-08.JPG
burner on 03-29-08.JPG
Tools for lifting & pouring 03-29-08.JPG
New furnace under test 03-29-08.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
deltaenterprizes

Refractory

Post by deltaenterprizes »

What did you use for refractory?
tomc

Post by tomc »

We got the body donated so only made the lid. I bought refractory cement from a brick dealer.
Tom C.
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Post by tomc »

Melting aluminum is fun! Sounds like a good topic. Anyhow, we are busy making ingots from our scrap. Tried a pour to a mold but I don't like the outcome. I am looking for a finer grade as I got sand blasting and is to rough.
Melted some Morton's lite salt for a flux to try. That is in the big saucer.

Tom C.
Attachments
Ingots and salt 07-05-08.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
tomc

Post by tomc »

Hi,

Now that we have our melting down, We need a beter way to mix our sand. We are starting a mueller. It is sitting on the frame I welded up with the 83 to one gear box we found on Ebay. Below is the tub with the wheel blanks in it, the motor and center support. More to follow as it comes along

Tom C.
Attachments
Muller gear box 07-19-08.JPG
muller tub and wheel blanks 07-19-08.JPG
tom_at_srclry_com
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

Keep it up Tom,I can't wait to see your castings. Andy
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

For fluxing aluminum, use HTH pool tablets broken with a hammer into sugar cube size lumps, wrap powder and small pieces in foil, use an infuser cup to add to the melt, skim dross, pour.

Make an infuser cup by making a cup shaped disc with a few 1/4 inch (5/16) holes drilled in a pattern, and weld it to a rod of about 3/8 to 7/16, maybe some 30 inches long. A packet is made with the additions of aluminum foil wrapped onto the edges, and the works plunged into the melt and spin/swished to flux the melt right before pouring. Be decisive with your moves and only take a second or two to move the melt and stand back, away from the fumes.

Warning: the chlorine gas is small but not good for your health so stay upwind and in a vented area. ( a box fan serves for me keeping the breeze going as I bake in the love of a melt.)
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.