Casting Ruler

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

captainkirk

Casting Ruler

Post by captainkirk »

I found a Lufkin shrink ruler a local Antique shop it's kind of expensive and I'm not sure how usefull it will be for making patterns. Can you still get these type of rulers and if so where/
What shrink values are used for the different types of metal
Aluminum, brass/bronze,iron, etc.
Harold_V

Re: Casting Ruler

Post by Harold_V »

Hey Cap'n,

Yeah, shrink rules are still available. Starrett sells them and I'm sure others do as well. I bouught two of them a few years ago, one a Starrett C370, 1/8"/ft. shrink and the other a Starrett C375, 3/16"/ft.. These rules are a nice satin chrome finish and very easy to read. Current catalog price is $55 each. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/shocked.gif"%20alt="[/img]

In general, proper shrink for iron is 3/32"-1/8"/ft., yellow brass 7/32"/ft., common brass 3/16"/ft., bronze 5/32"/ft., steel 3/16"/ft.. It appears that values are variable, which makes sense to some degree. Pouring temperatures would have a profound effect on the amount of contraction, along with other factors. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Hope this helps some~

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
captainkirk

Post by captainkirk »

Thanks for the reply, that's the info I needed
JEB

Post by JEB »

That reminds me of when I first went to work for the company that I just retired from. One of the tools I had to buy before I reported to work was a 6" scale. So I went down to the old time hardware store in town and bought what I thought was a 6" scale. I used it for several years until I happened to lay it down to another 6" scale. Hmmmm, why is mine a little longer than the other one? Took a close look and it read "shrink rule 3/16" / ft". Took a lot of ribbing that day. [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]

Jim
WSHBaker

Post by WSHBaker »

That must have been about 1960 give or take. Right? [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Anyone know of an economical source of rules *now*? I love my Starret stuff, but $55 bucks for a ruler seems a bit pricey, even with the Starret name. GsT
GeorgeGaskill

Make your own using an old-style triangular ...

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

draftsman's ruler. Make a 1:1 drawing of a ruler using your CAD program, then print it out at differing scales such that you get the extra 3/8" per foot (or whatever you need) in the printed version. Cut it out and glue it to the ruler. You can have six scales on one stick.
generic

Post by generic »

There is a specific method taught in drafting class, well it used to be [img]/ubb/images/graemlins/smile.gif"%20alt="[/img]
A pic is attached (I hope).

A ruled line is drawn vertically, another is pivoted at a common corner(becomes center of radius) and lengthened to the proper radius.
Then equally divided (12 spaces.)
Then marked at these divisions which 'each' have their share of the total expansion.

Yes, its a manual method. But doable in cad and printable.
GeneT

Post by GeneT »

Doh! Cool, I hadn't even thought about making my own! I'm thinking now, that even without CNC a rule could be engraved pretty well with a manual machine. Another project! (#768)
Thanks guys,
GsT
coldformer

Post by coldformer »

hello
i just use a calculator and dual dim my drawings (doodles)
jerry
coldformer

Post by coldformer »

aluminum 8-12% + beer factor
jerry
Rolly

Post by Rolly »

Thanks generic
Cheep was to lay out a scale. I use AutoCAD