Vacuum pump from throwaway compressors?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

ChrisPer

Vacuum pump from throwaway compressors?

Post by ChrisPer »

I want to make a vacuum pump for debubble-izing investments, vacuum pressing poster block mounts and maybe sucking 20-litre oil drums flat to impress the kids.

I know some compressors, like Root blowers, run equally well in reverse and others do not.

Has anyone here tried cutting the motor/compressor out of a fridge and using it for a vacuum pump? Or maybe a car aircon compressor with a washing machine motor?
Hanz

Re: Vacuum pump from throwaway compressors?

Post by Hanz »

Some use a refridge pump to suck down AC systems. Mine is a little overkill, the 220V AC compressor from a home central air unit, using the suction side to suck down automotive systems.
[url=http://www.hanzenginehouse.com]www.hanzenginehouse.com[/url]
WLW19958

Post by WLW19958 »

Hey Hanz,

I agree that the electric compressors out of an old window A/C unit work great! Just don't forget to squirt a little refrigerant oil in the suction side once in a while. A new compressor used to evacuate can pull 29.5" of mercury and a good used one should be able to pull 29". Not too shabby!

Regards,
Webb
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Any fridge or AC unit that is still working (pumping ) is a good candidate. One recently made was converted by drilling a TINY hole in the top of the hermetic case to relieve leak pressure and screwiing the blobby thing to a piece of plywood with rubber feet and adding a houshold lite switch for the off and on...If your unit loses oil out the hole it will quickly run the unit dry and score the bore on the pump.. Bingo- you are done... These units work fairly well and have been used by enterprising guys like me to do vacuum jobs on equipment.. Dont forget the valve sets....Dave..
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.