#10 or #16 crucible?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Irontrader

#10 or #16 crucible?

Post by Irontrader »

I just picked up the majority of a high school foundry.

Got a B16 Speedy Melt furnace and lots of accessories.

I got a almost new cruicble with the stuff, but don't know if it is a #10 or #16. I haven't found anywhere yet that lists the dimensions for crucibles.

How do I tell which size I have?
Harold_V

Re: #10 or #16 crucible?

Post by Harold_V »

List your email address or contact me on the side and I'll forward a scan of a page that shows the sizes, starting with 0 and going up through 400. It provides dimensions so you can measure yours and make a match.

The file is too large to post and when it's reduced small enough to post it isn't legible, otherwise I'd post it. I'm willing to forward the file to anyone interested. It's slightly over 400 kb.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
oldgoaly

Post by oldgoaly »

b-16 tells you that its a 16lb aluminum crucible(48lbs brass)
they have some info on it at www.mifco.com
i have the same machine in my shop, and they have one at the
local H.S.

good luck with your project!

tt
clueless near st.louis
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

B16 tells him the size of the furnace, it doesn't automatically guarantee the crucible is a #16.

I, too, bought out a large amount of foundry equipment at auction from school's closing down the industrial arts programs. I received both #16 & #20 crucibles and shanks.

The only way he will know the size is to compare against known dimensions unless it is marked on the base.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
curley

Post by curley »

Irontrader, a volume of one fluid ounce of Aluminum (by my calculations) weighs .1678359 lb. If you determine the volume (in fluid ounces) of your crucible (allowing a suitable ullage) and multiply, you should get the size number of your crucible.
Regards, Curley
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Check out the crucible page and table, including measurements at Budget Casting Supply at http://www.budgetcastingsupply.com/Crucibles.html.
Irontrader

Post by Irontrader »

Cliff,

Thanks! That webpage has exactly what I needed.