Legality of owning a personal foundry.

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Legality of owning a personal foundry.

Post by Bill Shields »

John:

totally understand the logic...but sometimes logic does not carry over to other areas.

is burning coal inside of a steam loco considered 'open burning' or are there additional considerations taken because of the dangers starting a fire..???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
C14X

Post by C14X »

So for where I live, I live in the town of Peekskill. I live in a neighborhood with the houses within 20 ft of eachother. Each house does have a decently sized front and backyard, though. Barbecues are legal. I would rather not use the foundry within my house, though, as I am not the only person living here and the other people might not feel safe. Is there any other information I need to provide?
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

There really (surprisingly) does not seem to be a whole lot of interest in the home foundry hobby here on the Chaski forums. I would highly suggest that you post these questions on The Home Foundry" forums as you are likely to receive a lot more helpful insight from folks who actively melt and pour metal. 8)

http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php
-Frank K.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I would certainly NOT recommend a melting furnace be operated in one's home. The risk of starting a fire is far too great to take that risk, and that risk extends to pouring of the molten metal, not just melting. Also, melting is not without fumes, which would certainly not be welcome in one's home. My reference was for a shop with a non-combustible floor.

Please note that the word "foundry" is NOT a melting furnace. A foundry is a place where castings are poured. A melting furnace would be found in a foundry.

In foundry terminology, metal is melted (not smelted) in a furnace, usually in a crucible made from a refractory product. Silicon carbide or graphite and clay are commonly used for bilge type crucibles. Smelting is the act of recovering elements from ore. Yeah, I realize you didn't say smelting, but it's good information for you to have, so you sound as if you know what you're doing.

The use of metallic objects as a crucible is not promoted due to contamination of the melted metal. Please note that I have not said they don't work. Molten metals are strong solvents of other metals and will dissolve them, even when the temperatures involved have not achieved the melting point of the vessel. That may not be true if the vessel is coated with the appropriate refractory, however. Said another way, you are far better served to use a proper crucible for melting than any type of metallic vessel, even for aluminum.

You have little in the way of options. If you feel you can operate a small furnace out of doors and not offend your immediate neighbors, you are home free. In this particular case, it is my opinion that everything relies on the relationship you have with the neighbors. Those who adjoin your property would likely endorse your endeavor, assuming you inform them of your intentions and don't operate the furnace at unreasonable hours. After all, what you do may benefit them, too. You never know.

That said, if you have experienced any negativity from any immediate neighbor, that may prove to be troublesome. Even so, I suspect that, so long as you don't violate noise restrictions, you may still prevail.

I'd enjoy hearing how this all shakes out for you. Please post accordingly.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Houses within 20 feet if each other and the possibility of someone feeling that what you are doing could be perceived as dangerous to their children (who would be trespassing) could cause you troubles. Just ask anyone who owns a swimming pool about liability.

Do it once and it is a curiosity.

Make a habit of it and you are likely to get a complaint unless you have a high opaque fence around your yard and it just sounds like a loud leaf blower and does not blow sparks that can be seen. Forget about doing it after dark..😀

Everyone has and understands a barbeque. Pour molten metal in their backyard within sight of curious kids and dogs? After the police respond to a few complaints...someone will find a law that you are violating.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:05 pm and does not blow sparks that can be seen.
I'm having a little trouble visualizing a situation where sparks are an issue. I've operated several small furnaces and have never had that experience. Fact is, they operate quite cleanly, emitting only traces of fumes unless one is melting copper alloys laden with zinc. Noise is a different issue----they make a roaring sound, resembling a jet engine. All depends on the velocity of air in use, and the amount of fuel involved. Certainly not any noisier than a leaf blower or lawn mower, but different. Ideally, operated during normal daylight hours when people expect noise.
someone will find a law that you are violating.
Is it really that oppressive in New York? Most home foundries operate without issue, so long as they're not operating a cupola.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

A propane furnace for melting aluminum need not use forced air so there need not be a significant amount of noise.
TimTheGrim

Post by TimTheGrim »

Memories of this debacle in your own state might have a bearing on how people react to your outdoor activities…

https://www.eteknix.com/man-inspired-fo ... 28-houses/
Illigitimi non Carborundum
'96 Birmingham mill, Enco 13x40 GH and Craftsman 6x18 lathes, Reid 2C surface grinder. Duro Bandsaw and lots of tooling from 30+ years in the machining trades and 15+ years in refinery units. Now retired
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

:shock:

It is not the things we think about that kill us but the things we do not
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

The local ordinances where I live speak to whether your activity makes a nuisance for the neighbors but, aside for allowances for equipment customary for maintenance of the property, the ordinances for the most part do not define the boundary of nuisance vs. non-nuisance.

To a large extent it depends on the type of area you live in and how well you get along with your neighbors. I am in a small town where you are considerate of your neighbors and stick to your own business. My brother lives in a metropolitan area where there is often someone who thinks they need to be in your business.

If your foundry produces noise, smoke etc. that bothers your neighbors you could have an issue. Not that having foundry equipment is illegal but the nuisance it causes the neighbors is objectional.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I find it useful to communicate with my neighbors ahead of time, and tell them what I will be doing, and how it might effect them.
They have always responded (both city and rural neighbors) with interest, and sometimes would accept my invitation to observe.
These days, they show up because they hear a steam whistle. Lots of interest. And no problems.
And they have gotten an occasional steamboat ride for helping me.
RussN
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Well, have you thought about going electric? Get a used kiln, you should easily be able to melt aluminum, possibly bronze. Burning electrons is much quieter than even a naturally aspirated propane burner, which can sound like a jet engine. I would steer clear of any zinc bearing alloys, and I would use only clean scrap (no paint, plastics, oil, etc). Greensand would be your safer bet, easy to recondition, and no burning tire smell from oils burning off in your sand (petrobonds, etc).
As far as the legality, can't tell you about that. Depends on where you live, if there are no ordinances specifically forbidding it, you should be ok. Don't bug the neighbors, or make them something nice every now and then. I'm lucky, I have good neighbors that put up with my craziness. I second checking out Home Foundry, a good bunch of people that know their stuff, and are beginner tolerant.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus