Legality of owning a personal foundry.

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

C14X

Legality of owning a personal foundry.

Post by C14X »

I want to create a small, personal foundry for private use where I live. I live in New York. I would like to know if it is legal to own a foundry and melt metal here, or if I would need to get a license of some kind.
John Hasler

Re: Legality of owning a personal foundry.

Post by John Hasler »

I doubt that even New York is that oppressive.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

I agree with John. So long as you do things like this as a hobby, it's pretty difficult for others to stand in your way. You would have to observe local noise restrictions, so your hours of operation may be somewhat limited. A melting furnace isn't exactly without noise.

This applies only if you were wise enough to avoid a location governed by an HOA. They can make life pretty damned miserable for those with interests beyond watching TV.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ask your local council.

You would be surprised what is illegal even as a hobby.

I some areas it could be banned as an open fire during non- burning seasons.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Make it look like a barbecue.
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

I'm lucky to be unincorporated in one of the Lake County, Illinois, townships.

The county has no laws regarding any kind of hobbyist activities.

To the west of me is 90 acres of Forest Preserve, to the north just one mostly unoccupied house, and then the Fox River.

To the south of me is now a friends 5 acres, who has helped me pour.

To the east of my 5 acres, is an undevelopeable 12 acres of wet land.

Don't really have to worry about any laws, but I always worry about SAFETY!

SAFETY of pouring should be #1 whehter or not you have to worry about OSHA!

If I can find the help to pour a #30 crucible of A 319, I hope to cast up several sets of guard rails for some recent RR switches I installed on the RR, next spring. I also have other castings planed for the future.

I have not poured in over two years because of health problems, but by next spring I hope to be better.
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

C14X -- You have not indicated where in NY you live....but it does make a difference as to what you can and can't do. I'm situated on Long Island and you can't do anything here without someone breathing down your neck or a nosy neighbor spoiling your fun. How close are you to your neighbor, how secluded are you ? I would not get any officials involved whatsoever.....guarantee they will put a stop to your foundry plans. NY is one of the worst states when it comes to rules and regulations......CA is probably the only state that is worse.
As long as your not to close to your neighbor and they get along with you I would go for it......have fun and don't burn down the house!

Nyle
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

or set a forest on fire....
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Don't go asking for trouble by poking a sleeping bear.

Its easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
-Frank K.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Agreed on that but...at least in the area where I live...the fire Marshall...or anyone working for him which I includes a lot of volunteer firemen... can levy immediate on the spot fines for open burning out of season or if the danger is red.

Do not want to run afoul of these guys if they carry the big stick where you live
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

There's little preventing a guy from running a melting furnace indoors, where you should not be ruled by burning laws. A hood with an exhaust blower is adequate for the purpose. I used to run my large tilting reverberatory that way, and it was in operation for hours on end.

Tilt furnace #2.jpg
H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Definitions of open burning:

the burning of a bonfire, vegetation debris fire or other fire in an outdoor location where fuel burned is not contained in an incinerator, outdoor fireplace, barbecue grill or barbecue pit.

Open burning is defined as a fire where any material is burned on the ground or in an open receptacle other than a furnace, incinerator, or other equipment ...

Closed burning:

a closed burn is a fire that is conducted within the confines of some form of controlling structure,

“closed burning,” which is confined to a structure such as a stove or a chimney

Are outdoor barbecues legal in your jurisdiction? If so I don't see how a foundry furnace could be considered "open burning".