Mixing Petrobond I and II

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

Lazz
Location: The Warm Arizona Deserts... Phoenix to be precise...

Mixing Petrobond I and II

Post by Lazz »

I have about 130 pounds of Petrobond II and would like to add another hundred pounds or so....
I have found ingredients on ebay to make Petrobond I
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Petrobond-Clay ... 3497539960

Are there issues with mixing the 2 versions of petrobond?
Harold_V

Re: Mixing Petrobond I and II

Post by Harold_V »

I don't have any (personal) experience with Petrobond, the nearest experience being having a small foundry pour some components for some large gas lamps I needed when they were installed on the castle many years ago. I spent a little time in their foundry, talking about the sand, and the muller they used, which was a large cement mixer with the paddles removed, and a large ball of lead used to mull. I am familiar with the product enough to know what it is, and how it is used.

That said, I can't help but think the product in question is compatible with existing product, as they show a method to revitalize old sand with their products. I would think that wouldn't work if they were not compatible. Please post on the results if you do happen to combine their product with what you have now. Many could benefit.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
RONALD

Re: Mixing Petrobond I and II

Post by RONALD »

Back in the 70's I joined a Night School Foundry class at the school where I taught Physics. There were two shop rooms, one green sand, the other Petro Bond sand. We first did only green sand, and then near the end switched to the Petro Bond room, wow, the difference was quit noticeable. After that I did all my work in Petro Bond, or Sodium Silacate CO2 sand. When they closed the Night School in the late 70's. I got a special permit that allowed me to use the shops after school. I did that until they closed one and then the other; all shops have been gone for many years, the school is now "College Prep"!

I bought much of those two shops at a bargain price, and set it up in my backyard, but did not take the Petro Bond sand, instead I bought bags of Petro Bond 2, and mixed up my own sand, if I had some Petro Bond around, I certainly would like to do an experiment to see how they worked mixed together. One thing about being an amateur, you do not worry about the "Bottom Line" or ROI!

Below are some pages from a Petro Bond brochure, over at http://www.alloyavenue.com/vb/forum.php there may be someone who has mixed the two.
PETRO 1.jpeg
Petro2.jpeg
Petro 3.jpeg
Petro 4.jpeg
Petro 5.jpeg
Petro 6.jpeg