Clay molds for aluminum casting?

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

GLBowers

Brass Casting with sand mixture

Post by GLBowers »

Steamin10,

I tried attaching the photos, but they were too large so I am trying to attach them again after editing.
What brass parts look like on the drum
What brass parts look like on the drum
What I need to Cast (minus the threaded steel rod)
What I need to Cast (minus the threaded steel rod)
Harold_V

Re: Clay molds for aluminum casting?

Post by Harold_V »

The objects shown would benefit greatly from being investment cast. The resulting surface finish would be better, and detail finer. That, of course, depends on your objective. You may prefer the appearance of sand casting, and its lesser ability to create fine detail and exceptional surface finishes.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
steamin10

Re: Clay molds for aluminum casting?

Post by steamin10 »

I mentioned jewelry casting and its small amounts of material just for that reason. It can be superior in some ways if a bit fiddly for some parts.Green sand casting is the simplest, and oil sand, AKA Petro bond is the next step up, offering much finer finishes at low cost, compared to investment casting. A branch of investment casting, shell casting is used for space age precision parts and exotic metals and-stainless, to get large production costs in line.

In viewing your small parts, I think Petro is the way to go, as in other posts I commented on capturing errant finger prints on surfaces I have cast. Other than melting the metal in a Kerr furnace or similar jewelry based deal, you have to decide which process line you want to follow. Ceramic kilns have been used with success to melt the metals and produce shell molds, or waxed investments for the garage guy that only make a hand full of parts per year. The biggest disadvantage is heating time in a kiln is too long for my liking, and a cobbled gas furnace is too easy to build. Again the size and scale will play into the start cost.

Above all, consider the safty and working conditions, as blowing molds up, and burns are no fun. So move forward, and play safe.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GLBowers

Brass casting with sand mixture

Post by GLBowers »

Harold,
You may be right, I won't know until I see how the brass casting turns out - I'll let you know one way or the other.
Thanks,
Garman
GLBowers

Brass casting with sand mixture

Post by GLBowers »

Steamin10,

Thanks for your guidance, I'll keep you posted on my progress.
Thanks,
Garman
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Harold and Steamin10,

I ordered Petrobond from Amazon a few days ago(https://www.amazon.com/Petrobond-Afford ... B00P032D0W) so I could start trying to cast brass and it came Sept. 8th - I'm still planning to make my own petrobond (working on getting bentone 34, I'll share with youall later if I'm successful). I did my first mold with the Petrobond and poured my first melted brass and I'm pleased with what I got - let me know what youall think (photos to follow in the next 7 Posts).
Thanks,
Garman
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Photo of my wooden form with brass pour.
Attachments
My wooden form with brass
My wooden form with brass
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Photo of split form after pour.
Attachments
IMG_2028 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by GLBowers on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

close up photo of brass pour.
Attachments
IMG_2029 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by GLBowers on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Photo of Brass pour with original.
Attachments
IMG_2030 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by GLBowers on Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Photo of dressed brass pour next to original.
Attachments
IMG_2032 - Copy.JPG
GLBowers

Post by GLBowers »

Photo of Brass pour with threaded rod added, next to original on the left.
Attachments
IMG_2034 - Copy.JPG
Last edited by GLBowers on Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.