Alloy of brass and zink in a home foundry

Home enthusiasts discuss their Foundry & Casting work.

Moderator: Harold_V

FKreider

Re: Alloy of brass and zink in a home foundry

Post by FKreider »

John Hasler wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:45 pm Zinc boils at 1665F.
Exactly, below the melting point of Brass which makes alloying a bit tricky in my experience.
-Frank K.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Sure, Scotty, anything you can share is welcome. Most of us are learning, not pro's.

I have extensive experience in melting with gas furnaces, and the heavy use of fluxes. However, that experience is restricted to the melting of silver. I know that fluxing is really hard on not only the crucible, but the furnace as well. Brazing flux use that you mentioned earlier would most likely not be a good idea (for that reason), but the use of glass, as you suggested, may be far more forgiving.

I'd suggest that most any glass would work, so long as it is not borosilicate glass, which melts at a much higher temperature.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

IMG_0709.jpg
IMG_0708.jpg
You can see, if the weir shape does not fit the crucible, glass can eek around it. Not the end of the world, so far it floats and pops up out the vent & on top the sprue.
With a two person pouring shank, this requires a 3rd body.
Scotty
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks! Pretty simple.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

1603597526102_IMG_0792.jpg
For those who haven't had the pleasure.... here is a genuine zink fire. It started when he removed the glass and dross. Should've waited until the crucible was out of the furnace and in the pouring shank. You can see the "spoonful" of glass and dross above the furnace, in front of the guy wearing the proximity gear. Managed to pour two cylinders and various other parts for the CliShay. Will have to wait for the machining to see if we were successful.
Scotty
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

I had a couple of those yesterday. I was pouring brass and got it way too hot. Opened the lid and.... it's really bright.