Newbie Seeking Guidance

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

sheets

Newbie Seeking Guidance

Post by sheets »

Hi all newbie here. I have come here because I am working on an art project that requires me to think outside the box. The dilemma at the present moment, I am unaware of how I should go about somehow affixing panels of sheet metal to hollow aluminum flat tubing?

I would like for where the two metals join to be flush and as clean and neat as possible. What options do I have and/or what should I consider?

Screws? Rivets? Welding? Tape?

Thank you for your time.
Harold_V

Re: Newbie Seeking Guidance

Post by Harold_V »

Hard to know exactly what you hope to achieve, as my idea of clean and neat may not be the same as yours.

That being said, you might wish to investigate pop rivets. They're likely the fastest and easiest way to attach the sheets, although not necessarily the nicest looking method.

Might help if we had a better idea of your ultimate goal. Picture, perhaps?

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
BadDog

Re: Newbie Seeking Guidance

Post by BadDog »

Not sure where you are, but you'll likely want to look into something called "galvanic corrosion". In particular how to prevent it when joining steel to aluminum.

And as stated, without knowing the loads it is expected to hold, and the environment where it will exist, it's hard to make any suggestion. To help keep the two separated, depending on details, something like one of the epoxy bonding options might be a good choice.
Russ
Master Floor Sweeper