C Frame punch types

Sheet Metal Fabrication techniques, questions and help. "Tricks of the Trade"

Moderators: GlennW, Harold_V

Wanna-Be

C Frame punch types

Post by Wanna-Be »

As mentioned in my previous post here, I was looking at an old Roper Whitney punch press. Desided a single operation punch, such as the C Frame in a good hydraulic press would work for me. Round holes, I can drill but often wish for square or oblong or key hole. While considering the Roper Whitney, I determined that it used the 28XX style dies and there are a lot of interesting possibilities. Plus this style is commonly available on ebay.
So I have been looking at a number of C Frame punches offered on ebay with some be affordable. However, the 28XX punch/dies and I am a bit confused when looking at the Unittool and Unipunch model description, even on their web sites. seem too large for these C-Frame holders and need to find out which dies the more common C-Frame punches use.
Unittool seems a model numbering system where the first number is the throat deep, the letter being the duty and the next number seems to be the holder body width. No mention of the die OD size.

I guess i need to determine the availablity and cost of dies before I jump in an purchase a C-Frame punch settup.

Any thoughts or recommendation of die sources for these punch/die sets.

Steve
Jet vert Mill, Champion 12X30 lathe, Amer. Mach. Tool radial drill, 24X60 LeBlond lathe, Scharmann 3" Hrz Brg Mill, Steptoe 18" Shaper, S/B Shaper,B&S (No.4 36") Gear Cutting Mach., Verson 22.5T Press Brake, Enco 12" hrz. saw, McEnglevan foundry furnace, Rockwell 14X42 lathe, K&T 2H univ horz. mill,DoAll 16-2 Vrt. bandsaw,Canedy-Otto drill press,Buffalo Iron Worker
spro

Re: C Frame punch types

Post by spro »

Whitney and DiAcro had turret presses which were similar. Hand operated with the dies and punches rotated to the punch station together. Don't rmember the exact dimesions of the die holders which bolt to lower platen but DiAcro were :mrgreen: and Whitney grey.