What tubing plus clamp would be used for a ribbed propane regulator?

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

LQFP-144

What tubing plus clamp would be used for a ribbed propane regulator?

Post by LQFP-144 »

I need to weld a thin piece of aluminum. I don't own a tig torch. I decided to use propane as it can get hot enough and there are others who do welding that say that propane works fine for aluminum. I couldn't find any instructions on what tubing to use with the propane regulator and what form of crimp to use. So, I purchased some tubing like you'd use for running compressed air throughout your home. It seemed a good choice because it's obviously rated for air.
Unfortunately, the tubing leaks at the propane regulator connection. I tried using hose clamps, but they stripped out when tightening. I tried using pex clamps (These, to be precise: https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-10-P ... 1000182819 ), but the tubing bubbled up where the crimping tool crimps the connector so it leaked. BTW: The hose clamps were also from lowes.

What sort of tubing plus clamp would we used for a ribbed propane regulator?
Thanks

PS: As you may guess, I am new to welding. BUT I do have PPE (Personal Protection Equipment).
Last edited by LQFP-144 on Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LQFP-144

Re: What tubing plus clamp would be used for a ribbed propane regulator?

Post by LQFP-144 »

Somehow the picture didn't upload. Here's a pastebin link (of the regulator tip so you can see what I'm talking about): https://pasteboard.co/fJ7fHzneU1Sp.jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Standard hose is highly unlikely to be an acceptable choice for propane. Even oxy/acet hose isn't proper, although it will work, just with a premature failure. Welding supply stores can provide the proper hose, even one that is compatible with both acetylene and propane.

The idea of welding with propane on aluminum may work, but not without oxygen. If you think you can do it with just atmospheric air (you didn't say), you're likely not going to enjoy success. Aluminum conducts heat at an astonishing rate so by the time you have the zone to be welded hot enough to weld, the entire piece will be near collapsing. You will most likely struggle with oxidation, too.

There is a brazing rod for aluminum that may solve your issue. It is primarily zinc and is reputed to work well. I have no experience with that rod.

Just sayin!

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Look up hose specified for propane use. Works at low temp and is electrically conductive.

The hose j use is reinforced and on the proper barb connectors requires no clamping.

The hose is also suitable for hot water...

Look in McMaster Carr hose for the propane spec in the hose section. The hose is clearly marked for use with propane.

.....OR USED TO BE...(sorry)..

NL1770 hose CGA 8.1 is rated for propane use.

in reality -> a hose that you get from Lowes or Home Depot for feeding from the propane bottle to the BBQ grill should be the correct hose.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LQFP-144

Post by LQFP-144 »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:46 am Look up hose specified for propane use. Works at low temp and is electrically conductive.

The hose j use is reinforced and on the proper barb connectors requires no clamping.

The hose is also suitable for hot water...

Look in McMaster Carr hose for the propane spec in the hose section. The hose is clearly marked for use with propane.

.....OR USED TO BE...(sorry)..

NL1770 hose CGA 8.1 is rated for propane use.

in reality -> a hose that you get from Lowes or Home Depot for feeding from the propane bottle to the BBQ grill should be the correct hose.
The ribbed fitting is 10.61mm/0.4177inches. The hoses at mcmaster are 3/16 == 0.1875 and 1/4 == 0.25. Do they stretch or what?
Also, why no clamping? It seems to me that a barbed fitting wouldn't need a clamp, but the fitting is ribbed -- not barbed.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Not sure on the answer to your question about ribbed or barbed. I can send you a picture of what I have used...really cannot remember where they came from or what they are called

If you think you may need a clamp then I would suggest the crimp ring type. Again...I do not remember the specific name but can send a picture.

I personally avoid worm screw type of clamps on small diameters.
LQFP-144

Post by LQFP-144 »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:42 pm Not sure on the answer to your question about ribbed or barbed. I can send you a picture of what I have used...really cannot remember where they came from or what they are called

If you think you may need a clamp then I would suggest the crimp ring type. Again...I do not remember the specific name but can send a picture.

I personally avoid worm screw type of clamps on small diameters.
Please do send pictures!
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Fittings with barbs and clamps to be used with ribs
crimp.png
crimp.png (34.13 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
fitting.png
fitting.png (159.25 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
hoses.png
hoses.png (148.43 KiB) Viewed 7042 times
with the correct size hose, the barbed fittings require no clamps
in the lower picture, the fittings have ribs and require clamps