Flux Core fumes

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

tornitore45

Flux Core fumes

Post by tornitore45 »

I have a cheap crappy $100 Flux Core Wire welder for Harbor Freight, however I suspect it could do a better job in the hand of somebody that knows what is doing.

Any way whatever is in the core splatters and fumes. How toxic are those fumes? I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Russ Hanscom

Re: Flux Core fumes

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Might look at the MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the wire you are using. It will emphasize the worst issues.

Any welding should be done in a well ventilated area, just in case.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

tornitore45 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Wow! That can prove deadly! Cadmium is used to control oxidation of the copper in (some) silver solder. It is a known killer.

Could you please provide some details of your experience?

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

I poisoned myself stick welding [indoors] the other day. I had a headache and burning lungs.
Fume hood or weld outside.
But don't start any fires!
I find a bucket of water to be effective for dousing small incendiary events.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I was doing 5 or 6 small jobs that did not need prolonged heating so I did not bother to set up outside. After the 3rd or 4th job I felt progressively a stomach ache that became worst even after I quit. I also felt a bit hazy. I looked up the symptoms and based on that I thought that drinking water was possibly beneficial. The therapy is gastric flush so I though drinking was the closest thing I could do on the spot. It took about 20 minutes to start feel better.
My original post was stupid anyway, I should know better that that kind of work should be done outside with ventilation.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thanks.
When I designed my shop, I included a large ventilation fan above the weld table, one with automatic louvers. An opposing window (opposite wall) allows for good air movement, so I can weld or braze inside without worry. The fan has proven to be a good idea, as I use it to remove fumes from the use of sulfur based cutting oils, too. I simply open the appropriate window, be it mill or lathe work, and run the fan.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Harold_V wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 1:04 am
tornitore45 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:50 pm I learned the hard way how bad Silver brazing can be.
Wow! That can prove deadly! Cadmium is used to control oxidation of the copper in (some) silver solder. It is a known killer.

Could you please provide some details of your experience?

H
The symptoms of acute[1] cadmium poisoning are respiratory, not gastric. Basically, metal fume fever. It is most hazardous as a long term cumulative poison, though.

[1] "Acute" in this context means immediate, not severe.
Eoinfork

Post by Eoinfork »

MSDS are good option
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Ozone exposure is also a pretty common side affect from welding. Every welding process creates high ozone concentration near the weld site, due to the electric arc interacting with oxygen in the air. Couple of years ago I hovered to close over a bunch of weldments and came down with a form of ozone induced pneumonia. Couldn’t breath, constantly nauseated for weeks. Lasted for 6 weeks, which is apparently fairly common with ozone exposure.

Now days I usually set up a small, portable, high volume 8” mine rescue fan in the far side of my shop to create a constant air circulation when welding. The fan shoots a nice column of air across the work, constantly wiping the welding products out the open the door, next to my table table.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

Glenn Brooks wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:47 pmNow days I usually set up a small, portable, high volume 8” mine rescue fan in the far side of my shop to create a constant air circulation when welding. The fan shoots a nice column of air across the work, constantly wiping the welding products out the open the door, next to my table table.
Any time I am welding, I have a fan running that blows upward to keep the air moving. I mostly use MIG, which usually produces little smoke, but there is the ozone-generation problem, as well as the discharge of the shielding gas (usually 75/25). I can't have the fan blowing directly at the work area, as it will interfere with the shielding gas.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I just have a stick machine, partly due to not having to deal with shielding gas. Although it’s a very dirty clean up process, and the welding byproducts are a lot worse than the fumes from Mig or TIG. Lots of discussion on our local Metalheads forum recently about overhead exhaust- although you are still right in the way of the rising fumes. Good thing about stick is you can use it in a typhoon.

Ive also thought about a combo respirator /face shield hood. They are gaining popularity, but still pretty spendy.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
heislerboy

Post by heislerboy »

Glenn Brooks, no you can't use stick welding in a typhoon, the max wind speed to weld in is 5 miles per hour this is from AWS (American Weld Society) in all types of welding and it is in all there welding codes. I am a certified welder in structural code D1.1 .

Andrew