welding unistrut

Welding Techniques, Theory, Machines and Questions.

Moderator: Harold_V

Mikes578514

welding unistrut

Post by Mikes578514 »

I'm planning to build a rack to haul my ride on trains for my new van.

I've purchased some green 1/2 height unistrut for the rails, and some square tube for the frame. do I need to clear the green finish off the unistrut in order to weld it to the tube frame? if yes how is the best/easiest way?

Thanks

Mike
Russ Hanscom

Re: welding unistrut

Post by Russ Hanscom »

Yes, you should remove the coating for a good weld. if the coating is intact, you might not even be able to strike an arc through it. I use an angle grinder with normal abrasive wheel, just a light touch to get the coating off of the proposed weld area. You do not have to get off every speck, what is left will burn off, and you cannot access the coating inside the Unistrut anyway. Of course do not breath the fumes.
Mikes578514

Post by Mikes578514 »

Russ

Thanks

I just braved the cold to do an experiment. I've got a air die grinder with some scotchbrite type wheels did a quick job on a 2-3" section of the unistrut

Thanks again

Mike
choprboy

Post by choprboy »

I've welded a bunch of unistrut for various frames (microwave radio/tower/building brackets/cable trays/etc.). The zinc and yellow can be welded directly, but even with grinding it is not a pretty weld (unless you grind way back), do to zinc contamination. The yellow is zinc-chromate, so its pretty bad to breath as well. Usually I grind the surface back about 1/4" from the weld edge, run a bead, grind the bead down, and run a second bead. Then try and find some cold zinc spray. The green (at least around here) is far easier to deal with as it is just paint/powdercoat over plain steel. Wire brush or flap disc the coating, weld, and repaint.
liveaboard

Post by liveaboard »

Use general purpose stick and crank up the power.
[grunt, aarrgg, wheeze, groan]