Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

hammermill

Re: Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Post by hammermill »

here i thought you had loaded up the kit and gone off on holiday. you got good steel in all the parts i suspect it will be great when done.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, Will be picking up the gun bits from the heat treatment shop in the morning and making sure it fits then will be fitting the barrel to the receiver. Have also loaded up some cartridges for it, three for proof test and some light loads so I can check the sights, but will need to cut the dove tail for the front sight first. Our trip away is for the new year in January, and we won the rugby wold cup, beat the Aussies! :D , Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
All ready for the big day.
All ready for the big day.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Guys, While I was waiting for the nitride bits I made up a tang peep sight, It is to my own design so it can slip on and off a dove tail and held in place by a spring loaded ball. I have not used peep sights before, so will see how there go. Xmas is here so will stop posting for a bit so I can enjoy all that lovely food and drinks, extras!!!. In the new year we will be off on our South Island holiday for a few months in our caravan, so will get back to you then, mean while I hope you all have a very happy Xmas, Cheers form down under in N Z, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
tang sight, slips on.
tang sight, slips on.
Side view.
Side view.
Held on with spring loaded bearing  ball.
Held on with spring loaded bearing ball.
All the bits.
All the bits.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

cheers for now i think you will find a peep site fun to shoot. happy holiday
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

Hammermill, peep site or peep sight? :)

I used a peep SIGHT for the first time a few years ago on a Savage Cub and was very happy with it! Merry Christmas!
softtail

Post by softtail »

Hell yes. -ST-
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Guys, Back from my look around the South Island of New Zealand, and it`s a big lump of land, towed my caravan 5,890klms and saw some lovely spots. As this rifle is getting near to finishing my trigger finger is getting itchy, so I loaded up some cartridges for it. All are lead bullets, 420grs and three are proof loads, 58grs varget for a Ruger #1, should wake it up to what it`s got to do.
Have had the b/block and action nitride hardened to stop wear. Milled the slots under barrel for blocks that holed the b/block spring, back forearm screw and front one as well . Here are the pic`s of my normal set up. Homebrew.357 Back in to it. :D
Attachments
Reloads, 45-70 , yep, six are black powder!!
Reloads, 45-70 , yep, six are black powder!!
Bits nitride hardened, grey colour.
Bits nitride hardened, grey colour.
Spring and block assy fit under barrel.
Spring and block assy fit under barrel.
Milling the slot ,then dovetail cutter.
Milling the slot ,then dovetail cutter.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

And a add, come and see N Z, This is the Mount cook area of the southern alps NZ, and a nz pub. Cheers Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Mount cook
Mount cook
Old pub at Queens town. That's not my car.
Old pub at Queens town. That's not my car.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

glad to see the trip was a success for all involved. when does hunting seasons come round that neck of the woods
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Hammermill, In our neck of the woods there is no season for hunting game animals, only for bird, trout, salmon do you need a licence. For hunting you just apply for a permit , its free, then you are away hunting. My hunting trip with my muzzle loader was a flop, looking over a rise a large red deer hind 50mts away, up with the Hawken KABOOM !!, missed the dam thing, :oops: :cry: . So when I got back I rehoned out the barrel and lead lapped it with 600grt , At the range first five shots are low, so tried a thicker patch, on the money. Homebrew.357.
Attachments
50m , cutting target in half, but still my louse shooting for no deer..
50m , cutting target in half, but still my louse shooting for no deer..
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

never had a chicken develop a air leak. soooooo whats a chicken patch, i know anything that hisses hihi

hunting big game in oregon can eat a hole in the budget. its all done with drawings. i swear i saw chicken not thicker now they will take away my bullets.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Hammermill, That's gone straight over my head???, . Milled out the slots to holed on the forearm under the barrel with holes taped for screws. This is coming to the last bit of machining on this rifle , but getting all the wood work it fit is the job now and to do this I use my Lathe to mill out the wood for a good fit. Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Dove tail cutter working.
Dove tail cutter working.
Trying for fit.
Trying for fit.
Taps in nicely.
Taps in nicely.
And the front one.
And the front one.