Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Making a sharps barrel in my lathe.

Post by Harold_V »

homebrew .357 wrote: Now is this thread getting to long?, should I keep it going or post a new thread, (Making a Sharps receiver on my lathe ), don`t want to be in trouble with the administrators . 8) Homebrew.357.
Length of the thread isn't an issue. My personal choice would be to continue with the same thread, but if you feel a new one for the receiver would be a good choice, that would be acceptable, too.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i would keep all the eggs together. good to see you back posting and on your feet
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Ok then guys, I`ll keep all in one basket. Have just got my receiver back the breech block fits a snug oily fit , great, this is the bit I could not do with the precision required and it has been ground true and square. So , as they say, I`v got my work cut out for me, but a heap more to do. Some pic`s before I stuff it up, :shock: ,it`s all go in N Z, Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Now that is good.
Now that is good.
Breech block slides in nice.
Breech block slides in nice.
Wire IDM cut, all size's are perfect.
Wire IDM cut, all size's are perfect.
Ed of all trades

Post by Ed of all trades »

Just found this and it is wonderful, Just starting toward machine work, as a hobby, and it is good to see what can be done. Thanks, Ed Will Keep watching!
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi Ed, Yep it`s a fantastic hobby, just love spending a few hours on my lathe, beats the google box. A hobby can become a cottage industry , I`m being asked if I can drill some stock for muzzle loading barrels. Have added a another egg to my basket , just finished threading my Sharps barrel on my lathe, 1.5m , came out nice, now just have to setup the receiver block to cut hole and thread it for the barrel. I think solving the problems is half the fun, :lol: ,Homebrew.357.
Attachments
The thread is there,
The thread is there,
Better pic, nice solid thread.
Better pic, nice solid thread.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi, I thought the best idea would be to drill and thread the receiver block, so set it up on the cross slide to drill the hole for the barrel to screw into. With centre lined up I locked the cross slide so it would not move and then with centre drill , a series of small to large drills and followed by some mill cutters , it was cut out till I could fit in a boring bar , then finial size of 1.070"id. Now had to think of how to mount it for cutting the thread on my lathe, there`s ways and means. :idea: , Homebrew.357.
Attachments
The set up, centring for drilling.
The set up, centring for drilling.
Mill cutter for trueing up and a bigger hole.
Mill cutter for trueing up and a bigger hole.
Boring bar in for final size.
Boring bar in for final size.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

So with a bit of a brain flash I figured a way to thread the receiver , first I removed the lathe bed gap block, then using my faceplate I bolted on the angle bracket, The receiver block was bolted to this and set up to run true to the hole ready for threading and this I will be doing nice and slowly, also can test the barrel for fit, when it threads in half way or so will leave it at that as I want a firm fit of the barrel in the receiver. So this is a case of using what you have got to achieve what you want. :wink: , Homebrew.357.
Attachments
This is an art form
This is an art form
Of junk and nuts and bolts.
Of junk and nuts and bolts.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi, Have finished threading the receiver block and the barrel fits in nice and firmly , with a .052" head space gap so I can finale machine it to fit. Have to have a barrel flat on top, with the breech space at .002-3" and the barrel up nice and tight. Next is machining the rest of the receiver, about 70% will be cut off, so don`t want any mistakes, you can't put it back. :shock: Cheers,Homebrew.357.
Attachments
looking good.
looking good.
Nice and straight.
Nice and straight.
TRX

Post by TRX »

"We want... progress reports!
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

OK OK , T R X, Had to have a break, so went up to KeriKeri in the bay of Islands for a few days in my small caravan, relaxed, had a few beers with some fish and chips, yer hard work but some one has to do it. :D So set up the receiver on my angle bracket on the cross slide to machine the top radis , using a boring bar and infeed with the slide. Came out good, now will make up a stub to screw into the receiver for holding in the lathe. Things are hotting up, I`m fielding orders for drilled out blank muzzle loading barrels as no one makes them over here in New Zealand and a hassle to import, the start of a cottage industry?, 8) Homebrew357.
Attachments
Yep, the grass is green here.
Yep, the grass is green here.
The set up with boring bar.
The set up with boring bar.
Just a bit of sanding to polish it up.
Just a bit of sanding to polish it up.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, Like I said this is going to be slower, I`m at real time now, so the receiver is 1.969" wide and at the front face it is 1.510" where the barrel screws in. Set up and clamped on my angle bracket I milled off .230" on both sides with a radis on the mill so no sharp corners, I think this stops stress cracking. Had to stop work on it for a bit as a customer wanted a 33" x 1" shaft drilled out for a muzzle loader he is making , carn`t get then in N Z, so my fame is getting out there, :wink: . Pics of the hoj poj set up, Cheers, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
Milling out side of receiver.
Milling out side of receiver.
Another look at it.
Another look at it.
The other side.
The other side.
You need lots of clamps, must not move.
You need lots of clamps, must not move.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Hi all, Been doing a bit more work on the receiver , finished milling the front on both sides and reset up to mill the left side with a large area to cut out. I first milled a slot then using a fly cutter I slowly and with small cuts milled out the large area. Also there is a radis on the receiver front, to do this I set up in my drill press with a small grinding wheel that was the right size and slowly up and down with the grinding wheel and in feed with the vice I ground out a nice radis. It`s coming on, Homebrew.357.
Attachments
End milled.
End milled.
P1020163.JPG
Using grinding wheel for cutting a radis.
Using grinding wheel for cutting a radis.
Woking well.
Woking well.