need advice on mill / lathe etc to purchase

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

slars1327

need advice on mill / lathe etc to purchase

Post by slars1327 »

hi All,
I am new here and I am looking forward to getting involved in the group.I am recently retired and I am looking for advice on the machinery I need to purchase. I have had folks tell me all u need is a mill, others call for only a lathe. I have been seriously looking at all the different eqpt that is avail out there. I have been looking at a mill/lathe combo as well as a cnc mill and a seperate lathe for barrels etc. I am hoping that some of you can jump in with sugestions etc.

I have looked at smithy , bolton tool , grizzly etc and just not sure what some of the specs are telling me and what I really do need etc. So if anyone cares to drop some advice , good or bad about some of the eqpt out there it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Scott
Patio

Re: need advice on mill / lathe etc to purchase

Post by Patio »

I came here a couple of years ago, after I had bought a lathe. I now own a mill also. I am not yet retired! :)

A little more information would be helpful for the group.
What do you want to make?
How much room do you have?
And how tight is your budget? I have done well on a small budget, so I know it can be done, if one is patient.

If you have the room, and budget, I would suggest buying separate machines, not a all in one. (mill and lathe)
Depending on room and what you want to make will help determine size of machines, and what machines you may want. There are a lot of machines, other than just lathes and mills. :)

If you put in your, general, earthly location, other may be near enough and willing to help.

Oh and welcome to the board, there is a great bunch of guys here. They have helped me greatly!
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
steamin10

Post by steamin10 »

Welcome to the board! Congrats on your retirement, now to fill up your free time with the wonders of machining.

I second the motion on general location, it helps for people to feel your presence, for the desert, Midwest or where ever.

More information on what your interests are, will be key to getting machines in your working envelope. RC cars, ATVs, rock climber jeeps, etc, will have diferent working needs. You must match those needs or be frustrated with the inability to do the work well.

My Quest started many years ago, and I have older flat belt South Bend lathes, and two small vertical mills. Ok, one is a mill drill, Enco from the mid 70's. The other a Rockwell built for school training, with a madeningly small work area. The lathes are 6, 9, and 15 swing capacity. The 9 is used most and is right next to my 2 seat bar, and TV in my Mancave downstairs. I work mostly on broken small items, and some machinery. I build Log splitters, ride on trains, and yard decorator junk, when the feelings move me. Otherwise I repair Lawn tractors and mowing equipment that is beat to peices. So to each his own.

You need to think about what you will be creating, or modifying, before you spend a dime. In my mind, separte machines are always better, but consider the real estate they take up. Often the garage shop becomes a no-car garage to house the equipment, that is need driven. If you build clocks and watches, a large closet may do fine, otherwise machinery is very space hungry. CNC is another expensive dimension that may or may not benefit what you do. It is miserable for repair work, but just dandy for chopping out parts for say RC cars.

Wisdom is strength, knowledge is power, many on the board here have a lot of both to share, if you can form the right questions.
Big Dave, former Millwright, Electrician, Environmental conditioning, and back yard Fixxit guy. Now retired, persuing boats, trains, and broken relics.
We have enough youth, how about a fountain of Smart. My computer beat me at chess, but not kickboxing
It is not getting caught in the rain, its learning to dance in it. People saying good morning, should have to prove it.
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I would stay away from Smithy with a ten foot pole. And the same goes for combination machines in general, unless you plan to make small parts only. Even then, separate machines would be better.

The gunsmithing trade almost requires a lathe if you are going to do any barrel work. And most smiths either eventually get a mill or want a mill. You can do some milling work with a milling attachment for a lathe but that is really a stop gap measure.

As mentioned, let us know what you really want to do. That will allow us to give better advice rather than offering only generalities.
ken572

Post by ken572 »

stars1327, :D

Welcome to The Home Machinist! :wink:

Take your time, and read the threads/postings,

and talk to all the members like you are doing.

Little by little you will start to know what you

want and how you will do it. Part of being retired

is to have fun playing with your man toys, the

way you want to do it.

Ken. :)
One must remember.
The best learning experiences come
from working with the older Masters.
Ken.
ken572

Post by ken572 »