That lathe made barrel

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

hammermill

Re: That lathe made barrel

Post by hammermill »

the black eye is always a hint. :lol:

alapa i figured by now you would be turning out barrels for your builds.

homebrew how are you creating the pitch of the rifleing.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

This is about a 45cal black powder rifle, ( how did a .270 get in there). Ok Alphwolf, to jog your memory I posted "Making rifle barrels in the lathe." on friday 12th August, 2011, It`s all in there. I tried, "Hand Rifling a Muzzle loading rifle barrel at home" By Mark Wagner. he used blank smooth bored barrel and rifled them at home, the same old way they did it at the Williamsburg gunmakers shop!, and his barrels shot dam good. All this stuff is in the USA, I got his book for $4 from Track of the wolf. That did not work for me, so I found Bill Webbs Rifle barrel making machine! He was a bench rest shooter and his machine could make a barrel in 4hrs!, and they were very accurate. I got his DVD and Info on the machine, but I just made some bits to fit on my lathe and away I went, the machine would cost a bit to make. So yes you can make dam good barrels on home made machines. In NZ nobody is making black powder barrels!, 8) could be a hobby business there, :lol: I made it hard for myself by useing hard steel, so trying some softer, good machining steels, 1137, or 12L14, if it`s good for GMB and CVA, Ok, I`l try it, Cheers from NZ, homebrew357.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

homebrew .357 wrote:This is about a 45cal black powder rifle, ( how did a .270 get in there).
It's called "conversation"--the result of folks reading your posts and having comments of their own. Just like friends do when they gather and talk.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

homebrew357, i thought yours were the documented efforts at barrel making i was think of. many have taken a run at a webb machine, but your was one of the few successful ones.
i missed the hardened steel part(or bad memory)
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

hammermill wrote:the black eye is always a hint. :lol:

alapa i figured by now you would be turning out barrels for your builds.

homebrew how are you creating the pitch of the rifleing.

Hammermill, I do often think about rifling barrels but never done any of it. .....I shot the match BPCR silhouette today and met lot of new folks. A new acquaintence started telling me he knew where a sinebar rifling machine was sitting unused and I did not ask more about it.. My excuse is that I was distracted...Or maybe I REALLY don't want to make my own barrels...Hey I shot well today, I build good guns, I don't want to make barrels but it is a pain waiting on an ordered barrel to be shipped.....

and , How would you even know if you made a good barrel until you had put an extra ten hours or so work contouring ,threading ,chambering, cut the extractor slot and dovetails and what not till it could be fired ?..It'd be awful to get one up to where you could finally shoot it and then discover it wont hit the end of the barn from inside it.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

over the years it has been chatted about several times. the builds you do are inspiring . i think it is great they are seeing some range time in your hands and you are enjoying them! for that i give you joy.

not sure i would look at a old sine bar rifling machine, it needs a fare amount of space but a old lathe with a long enough bed could tempt me to try.

a stepper motor turning the chuck as the cutter is pulled should give one the desired twist

for now i buy barrels when i find them. and hope to find time for projects

the black eye for those who missed it is usually from lot of recoil,a scope and ones face, expecialy belted mag recoil
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Well when I started doing this, I did not know what a gun drill looked like so I send for Danjons Info on there gun drills. They sent me back a lot of info on barrel making machines and some was about useing a old lathe to do it. So yep It can be done, And I`v just finishet drilling a 27" hole in a 1" dia shaft of 1018 steel, and DO NOT tell engineers on here, but my top line cutting oil for this is..... hydrauilc oil, :shock: my son has a Kanga digger that he changed the oil in, you want some old oil dad.! :wink: No such thing as Carn`t do it. Homebrew357.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

homebrew .357 wrote:Well when I started doing this, I did not know what a gun drill looked like so I send for Danjons Info on there gun drills. They sent me back a lot of info on barrel making machines and some was about useing a old lathe to do it. So yep It can be done, And I`v just finishet drilling a 27" hole in a 1" dia shaft of 1018 steel, and DO NOT tell engineers on here, but my top line cutting oil for this is..... hydrauilc oil, :shock: my son has a Kanga digger that he changed the oil in, you want some old oil dad.! :wink: No such thing as Carn`t do it. Homebrew357.
How concentric was the hole on the far end of the shaft when you finished?
alphawolf45

Post by alphawolf45 »

hammermill wrote:
for now i buy barrels when i find them. and hope to find time for projects
The fellow running the match was telling me about a muzzleloading match farther north in this state.. I just now sent him an email asking him to describe the 'best' gun for that match as maybe I'll build one to go shoot the match...Then now looking online for muzzleloading barrels seems there is plenty of barrels for that purpose sitting on shelves everywhere.. and at just 150 bucks for a good barrel ready to ship I could not find motivation to work to make my own barrel.
homebrew .357

Post by homebrew .357 »

Ok guy`s, and Redneck, The fun part, I just cut the 27" inch part of that shaft with the hole through. The run out was 0.018" and the hole was, .419" ID where the drill stopped, this is the muzzel end and the starting end, (breach end) was .440" ID. in for about 2", this was because I got the gun drill sharpend ! :evil: ye the way it was done it would not work, so I re ground it myself, Bingo!, they put a small 3% angle on the left cutting edge, no go, so I ground it off for a strait sharp edge and it worked well, but this is the breach end, so it has to be threaded for the br/plug, should be OK.
Hammermill here are the pic`s of the Kiwi rifling gear box assy, just a few comeinhandy bits bolted to gether.
Alpawolf, you are right, you can find rifled barrels in the states, and if I lived there I would not have done this, any barrel made over there would be much better than mine that`s for sure, I`d love a Green moutians .45 barrel, but I`m a miser, no money, RET, O well I`ll just have to ream and rifle this barrel VERY carefully, :) homebrew357.
PS, will try and get pics of a 50yrd shot target.
Attachments
The gear boxes
The gear boxes
Rifling gear head, left hand twist, six groves, 1 in 33" twist, 0.010 deep. bore, .450"
Rifling gear head, left hand twist, six groves, 1 in 33" twist, 0.010 deep. bore, .450"
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

all good thats what i thought i remenbered. that give you your twist which i assume could be changed by swaping sprocketts. ( in a simplistic way) thanks :lol:

redneck i should mention that even the pro,s do not come out dead on all the time thier answer is to start with larger diameter blanks after drilling, put between centers and turn to profile. i memory serves they start with a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch blank.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

hammermill wrote:redneck i should mention that even the pro,s do not come out dead on all the time thier answer is to start with larger diameter blanks after drilling, put between centers and turn to profile. i memory serves they start with a 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inch blank.
That I did know! If I am understanding correctly .018 of runout means the hole is off centre .009. Regardless, i though that was very impressive.