making a mount to attach on a pic rail

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

gwhunter21

making a mount to attach on a pic rail

Post by gwhunter21 »

hi all I am new here and new to machining, I know absolutely nothing I bought a smithy 3 in 1 and now I want to make a mount for my go pro to attach to a pic rail. My question is what bit do I need to mill the part that attaches to the rail? would it be a double 45 or is there another way. I have tried calling the local supplier and he has no idea as to what I want and when I went there he was not there, If someone can tell me the proper name of the bit I need I would be grateful

Thanks
gwhunter
JackF

Re: making a mount to attach on a pic rail

Post by JackF »

I'm going to guess you need a dovetail cutter. Go to the MSC web site and google "dovetail cutter". You should find what you need. :D

Jack.

P.S. We love to know the location of our members, noobees especially, there are times when a nearby member can lend assistance.
GlennW

Post by GlennW »

Possibly a "Double Angle Shank Type" cutter.
http://www.use-enco.com/cgi/INPDFF?PMPA ... PG=INLMK32
Glenn

Operating machines is perfectly safe......until you forget how dangerous it really is!
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

I use a double 45 to make the ones I have made but the cutters are usually too thick and I end up with clearance above the rail. It hasn't caused any problems but I don't get a close fit there. I suppose I could grind off the top of the cutter for more clearance.
gwhunter21

Post by gwhunter21 »

thanks guys i just order a double 45 I appreciate all the responses
mclarenross

Post by mclarenross »

With some creative fixturing you can make a female picatinny mount using just a regular endmill. The internal angles are 90* so just set the work at 45* and you have your internal angle.
Lance Corporal of Marines