Head spacing 22 rimfire bolt

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

roninboise

Head spacing 22 rimfire bolt

Post by roninboise »

I have an Anschutz model 54 that I have stocked and use for indoor BR competion every Tuesday evening. I have an ARA type one piece rest that I made for it.

I am interested in learning about the correct head spacing procedure for rimfires with regard to setting up the bolt in the receiver.

I do my own barrel work for my varmint and BR centerfire rifles but have never worked with rimfire actions and barrels.

Any help would be appreciated from those that are experienced in this type of application.

Wanabees need not contribute.

Ron in Boise
ronhbr@cableone.net
kurt

Re: Head spacing 22 rimfire bolt

Post by kurt »

.041 to .043 with .042 being the norm. The resess in the bolt face should be near the .042 number. As you know the barrel is a press and pin into the action, that makes it nere inposable to adjust headspace, there are some shims out there someplace that mit work, but I don't know were to get them. This is what I do when rebarreling one. Thread the action and turn a 30 deg cone on the chamber end, this does away with extracter cuts and lets you set the headspace were you want. You can turn the shank .100 longer than the action to bolt face, and make a spacer and use it to set the headspace just make the spacer .101 for .043 or .099 for .041 to chang it. I,am getting ready to do a Shul this way now.