Gun smithing books

Topical Discussions include anything pertaining to Gunsmithing.

Moderators: JackF, Harold_V

mikechoochoo

Gun smithing books

Post by mikechoochoo »

What would be the first and best books on gun smithing to buy. I want to know how to disassemble and assemble and of course repair all kinds of actions and guns. I know no book can teach it all but is a good primer or primers to start with.
Mike
redneckalbertan

Re: Gun smithing books

Post by redneckalbertan »

I don't know if it's the best, but 'Gunsmithing' by Roy F. Dunlop, I think, is a good book. It covers a lot of different topic from proper tool useage, blueing, stock work and checkering to common repair problems. The first edition was put out in 1950 (I think) the second edition was copyrighted in 1963. It's little bit older and doesn't cover any 'modern' firearms but I found the information to be useful and an enjoyable read.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

some will growel at me but build a master list and then shop booksales,ebay, and amazon for used books

any more you will find few bargins in a gunshow. alot of older books
are available on the book archives (rar type files)

look also in brownells and midways for other titles you can then search for used.

also the video,s from american gunsmithing institute are usefull as each video covers a certain firearm.

the bargin of the day is gun parts.corp 3 part set of books with exploded drawings of everything and parts lists. it should be on anyones bench for refrence.

on many used book sites you can list a prefrence of titles and they will advise when that title is listed.
as will ebay. this email process will save a lot of checking once you set it up.

also look for magiznes like accurate shooter,reloading mags rom the 70,s or 80,s they were written befor the reading level of america droped to a 6th grade reading level and everything became comic books and no content blogs.

this will get you started good luck

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... ooks%2C427

here is a start good luck in your search
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Most anything by Patrick Sweeney is treated as Gospel by alot of the guys I went to school with. Also, the two books put out called the Home Gunsmith Machinist by Steve Acker are primo, very well written, and I've done a few projects in those books and I'm trained as a gunsmith and found them fun.
Shozbot

Post by Shozbot »

if you are looking for old books: http://www.abebooks.com

ABEBooks: A Book Exchange. A brokerage for used booksellers

bonus: the software used by used booksellers to categorize their wares is free to all:

http://www.abebooks.com/homebase/softwa ... m-catalog/
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

My favorite is: The Modern Gunsmith by James V. Howe. (The gunsmith founder of Griffin and Howe)
It is a two volume set that covers everything from basic shop set up and beginner's metal working up to advanced gunsmithing. It may be hard to find, but it is well worth having.

Keith
MatthewTheTerrible

Post by MatthewTheTerrible »

instead of a book, I'd point you towards the AGI videos. i havent looked, but ive read in the past weeks that all 500 are on youtube...
GeorgeGaskill

Post by GeorgeGaskill »

The AGI videos have been on youtube and have been removed. They may have been replaced. There is some confusion regarding this.
hammermill

Post by hammermill »

i can not believe they are not protected by copywrite a full set is around a grand. and i still see ads once in a while.
redneckalbertan

Post by redneckalbertan »

MatthewTheTerrible wrote:I'd point you towards the AGI videos.
I've watched parts of some of these. Lots of good information in them and it is nice to see what they are describing. One example comes to mind they built a 1' tall (or there abouts) trigger and sear assembly to VERY clearly show you the interaction of the two pieces and how that relationship changes when you do a trigger job, and the importance of the different angles.
squirrel whisperer

Post by squirrel whisperer »

BROWNELLS is a good place to look and they can redirect you to very accurate sources for whatever they do not have. My personal choices in authors is: George C. Nonte, P.O. Ackley, Frank De Haas, Col. Townsend Whelan, and others of the old Masters, because I am only interested in Single Shot Rifles, Pump Action Rifles, Lever Action Rifles, And Revolver Designs. I am from the Old School so I relate well to their methods and their ways of doing things.